Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safariland 560 Or 5182?

BigDave

I had problems with the belt I had and the 560. It was a pain to get the clip on the holster to get under the belt and pants which would cause the holster to distort enough to drag the gun and slow my draw. I ordered the 561 back to switch from the paddle setup to the belt set up. Worked much better for me.

Another thing to consider is that the 560/1 may not make the next IDPA approved holster list. a) the backs are removable. B) you can add spacers to move the holster out and away from the body and c) you can can't the holster to bring the muzzle about 5 degrees forward.

What will be interesting is that Safariland makes the exact same holster for Wilson Combat which they call the "Adjuster" I believe. Should be interesting to see how that develops.

I loved the 561 but I had a chance to trade it for an Alessi DOJ so I went for it. The DOJ (Lou makes for Heinie) is extremely fast for leather. It conceals well, drawing the butt of the gun in. Rusty Sherrick makes a similar model for Tom Givens at Rangemaster, aptly named Rangemaster. The main difference between the two is that Rusty's rides 1/2" lower than the Alessi about the same height as the 560/1. That's taking me some time to get used to.

Mark

• 1 month later...

This is from the IDPA website:

"Some holsters have been changed from their original approved design. For that reason, the BoD will be looking at all holsters on the current approved holster list for re-approval during 2003. No new holsters will be added to the list during that time. Holsters that allow adjustment to a forward cant (muzzle forward) will be removed from the holster list.

New holsters will be accepted for approval to the holster list from the manufacturer during the month of January, 2004. "

Look at the line that is bolded. if you plan to purchase a new holster and use it for competition, I would make sure it meets this guidlines. This rule is going to create problems for many shooters. Myself included. This is just another rule that is going to be very difficult to enforce and not very well thought out.

Maybe some day those that receive all the checks will actually talk to some of the Membership. yea right. :(

Good luck with your choice. I hope the don't remove it from the list after you purchase it.

I prefer the 560. The 5182 carries the gun in my armpit.

I had problems with the belt I had and the 560. It was a pain to get the clip on the holster to get under the belt and pants which would cause the holster to distort enough to drag the gun and slow my draw. I ordered the 561 back to switch from the paddle setup to the belt set up. Worked much better for me.

Just slip the paddle inside the waistband without the belt in place. Then slide the belt through the resulting "tunnel" between holster and pants cloth. The belt will slide into place above the "clip." Then fasten the belt. IOW treat the 560 like a standard belt holster. Much easier than slipping the paddle into place with the belt already fastened and then trying to force the "clip" over (or rather under) the belt.