Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with powder chargers

villihun

Hi everyone

I'm using the Dillon 550 reloading machine, and both powder chargers are dropping irregular charges. Between 4.4-4.9gr. Also I use a designated toolhead for each caliber, one for 38/357 and one for 9mm. The powder for 38/357 is Vihtavuori Tin Star N32C, and for 9mm is Vihtavuori N330. I have checked the charges with Redding beam scale and the scale has been checked with weights. How do I achieve more consistent charges?

Kind Regards from

villihun

If it is brand new, it will take a little time to slick it up for more consistent charge weights. I would check the fail safe rod spring, to be sure it is depressed a lot when you return the handle to the top, this will draw the charge bar back so it fills completely then when the handle goes down, the shellplate comes up, the charge bar should be flush with the back of the powder drop fully, for more consistent drops. V.V. powders are usually some of the most consistent of the powders as far as charge weight goes. Hope that makes sense, those are probably not the technical terms for most of those parts. Also be sure the fail safe rod, at the top, enters through the left side of the mechanism, not the right.

Good luck,

MLM

Edited by mlmiller1

Sounds like a setup issue to me. Are you sure you have adjusted the thumbscrew on the fail safe rod as per Dillon's instructions? Is the powder bar extending and contracting fully during the cycle? Is it possible that powder is spilling from the cases when the shellplate is advanced?