Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any electricians on here?

Where I work at they had these 4-8' fluorescent units hung over head at a height of less that a foot from from my head.

Two things I have noticed about these lights is you never hear the typical "humming" sound that comes from fluorescent lights. And for the ten years that they have been up there, not once have they had to replace a ballast.

I asked the electrician that installed them why they don't make that noise and his response was because they have "electronic ballasts" in them.

So I have searched high and low for these lights and every one ranging from Home Depot to your specialty lighting stores get that dumb look on their faces when I ask them if they can order me four of them.

Would some party here have any suggestions?

Edited by Heavy Barrel

Not an AC electrician but maybe power compacts ?? The small tube lights.

As for the ballasts, full solid state ballasts wont have an external starter pot, it's all

contained in the ballast..

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

Fine woodworking magazine did an article on lighting for the shop a while back.

Very informative and dealt with different types of f-lighting, bulbs, and ballasts you might need.

Its also in their book on shops whose title escapes me at this moment.

I'm sure you could order it from tauton's website or from your local Borders bookstore.

JK

Not a AC electrician but matbe power compacts ?? The small tube lights.

As for the ballasts, full solid state ballasts wont have an external starter pot, it's all

contained in the ballast..

These units take the larger T12 bulbs. Just as all the lights do where I work.

Not an electrician but I have been faking it for the past month :unsure:

The ballast you are referring to are called "electronic ballast system" (no hum).

Sounds like the ones you have at work are good ones.

Since you're not having any luck finding a place to help you, my suggestion would be to take the cover off of one of the lights @ work and get the manufacturer and model #. Then you should be able to order from a supplier or direct.

I am a sparky! Electronic ballasts do not flicker or hum as they are essentially switching power supplies. Instant on and nice light. Brighter too! Less power by a lot. They use T8 lamps. (Skinny ones) Pay close attention to the color temperature of the lamp. If you get daylight balanced lamps for these there is almost no discernible difference between the lamp and daylight. You'll see better in that light. Read the package end label and see what lamp it requires. Usually it will say on the outside of the box so you don't have to open it in the store. Always IQ test people behind counters and in the isles at self serve stores before you believe what they tell you. Say something funny, try to speak to the actual person behind the apron. You can be polite and do it, just look for cow face. You know, blank eyes and mouth slightly open, maybe a wet corner on the mouth. Find someone else to talk to! Here in the future a hair trigger bullshit detector is essential for survival!!

You might just want to check out your local mega-home center. If you are lucky enough to have an electrical supplier, then check with them. Last ditch, try and find a good electrical contractor.

I know someone who is the latter and he sent me to Lowes to purchase a specific 4 bulb fixture for my office (which has a low ceiling). I don't know what kind of ballast it has, but it was a bit more expensive and is as quiet as a mouse. The bulbs are "daylight" bulbs and are a dream to work under.