Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Recipe/Kimber Team Match II

Raptor357r

Hello, I'm a newb to the forum, but have been reading it awhile and now I have a few questions. I already have done multiple searches and haven't quite found what I am looking for so I'll try asking.

First some information about me, my experience and my equiptment.

I've started shooting basic target when I was a kid. Then I shot .22 bullseye in high school. I started doing Law Enforcement Combat games about 12 years ago but they were only once every few months so I started shooting Cowboy just over a year ago. I really liked the competition so I started shooting Steel Challange several months ago and just shot my first USPSA match. I have a blast shooting all of them.

I've been loading "Cowboy" loads for over a year now, but am still new to the loading world. With my cowboy loads I just set up what my friend was shooting and it worked really well so I stayed with it. I have a Dillon 650 and an RCBS for shotgun. I have decided to start loading 38 super for steel challange and USPSA matches.

I would like two recipes for a 38 super load. One for a lead bullet and the other a JHP. I'm not concerned with the PF for now I just want it to feed through my Kimber Team Match II. I would prefer to shoot lead bullets, because one of the Steel matches I shoot at is a "Lead Only" match until they get new steel. I would also like a JHP load thats close, if possible. The Kimber is stock from the factory and the barrel was slugged and microed exactly at .355.

I already have tons of Federal primers and I'm going to use Straline brass, this is only because I have several coupons for their brass that I have won; however, I'm not sure if I should use the +P or standard cases thoe. I also have about 1500 rds of once shot R-P brass that I have recollected after shooting. I also use two different powders for cowboy, one for pistol with TG and one for rifle and shotgun with Clays so I have those on hand.

Now, for the questions.

Should I use the .355 or .356 bullet size? I have read one here that a lot of guys are using 9mm rounds and I have found they are mostly .355 so that's why I ask.

Anyone have a round using the above material I already have?

Thanks to all for the advise I have already discovered here.

Scott

Start with ~4.5 grs of N320 and a 115 JHP and work up to your desired PF. HP38 is another choice there and popular with Bianchi shooters. You should be in the same range with TG, but check yoru load manual first. There is also a number of posts here, so it may be worthwhile to search.

Stick with .355s. More choices and better bullets, IMO.

I'm withh dave on the .355

Current loads

122 LFP 5.0 AA#2 - Approx 137PF in my kimber

124 FMJ 5.0 AA#2 - Approx 130PF in my kimber

Other Data I have found

Hodgdon Website

I have been using the Standard Super brass - (All I have been loading for is steel and IDPA)

if you're getting new brass and the cost is the same, i would suggest the +P variety. its stronger and can be used for heavier loads if you want to try some in the future. though this might be less of an issue if you have a ramped barrel, and the last Kimber i saw had that, so it might not matter. but i always opt for the stronger stuff anyway.

the .355 jacketed bullets will be perfect. As Big Dave and Clyde noted, more variety - which translates into a better choice of accurate bullets. if you're considering heavier bullets - i like them for light recoiling loads - the Remington 147 FMJ Match bullet has been consistently accurate in my Supers. They can be found at Midway USA (www.midwayusa.com).

i've found that for cast lead bullets, the 147 grain variety tend to shoot a little straighter than the 125s, but that might just be me/my gun. i'm sure that you already know that most cast bullets will be .356 diameter.

i've not used the powders you listed. if you decide to switch powders Winchester 231 is hard to beat. I also use Winchester Super Target, and Vit N320 for light loads. but i still recommend the 231. it tends to be consistently accurate in my 38 Super pistols.

The Super is a great cartridge with considerable flexibility. i'm sure you'll enjoy it.

additional material on the 38 Super cartridge can be found at:

www.38super.net

I have a Team Match 2 on order, the last three through the gunshop I work at that were supposed to be for me, have been snaffled up by customers, the main disadvantage of this is that I have now spent the money on other toys. Never mind more overtime required.

But one of them belongs to a real good freind and I am allowed to hold it some times.

Try 4.7gr TiteGroup 115gr Zero or Sierra JHP. We are getting around 2.5" at 50yards.

We are using +P brass, I have used non +P brass for these 130pf loads and they work fine. IF you intend getting the PF up there a little then buy +P only. If you only intend to load lighter PPC or Action Pistol loads then get whatever is cheapest and get lots of the same.