Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dell D600 RAM Upgrade

I just got two 1GB sticks of RAM for my Dell Latitude D600, previously had two 512 sticks. Installed the new ones, and now when I boot it says:

Memory write/read failure at 7FFE0008, read FE11DE11 expecting FE 11FE11

Decreasing available memory.

The amount of system memory has changed.

I enter the setup utility and I have no way to select the amount of available RAM. All I can do is set the time, play with the boot order modify some boot configs, basic device config, battery/power management, & system security. BIOS version is A14 and it only shows 1024 MB of RAM.

How do I tell the darn computer that I put more RAM in it? :wacko:

No where near a computer guru, but I had a similar problem with a new HP Business grade machine last month.

The first time through I had a bad 1.0 card. WinXP indicated I only had 1.0 memory. Got with their tech group and they confirmed it was probably a bad memory card. Replace it and all was well.

How many slots for memory? If one of the slots is black and the others are white, be sure at least one memory card is in the black slot.

If you have four slots, the computer may group the memory into two arrays. An example that may not work is a 512 in the first slot, a 512 in the second slot, and the two 1.0's in slots 3 and 4. Put a 1.0 in the black slot, leave a 512 in the second slot, a 1.0 in the third slot, and the remaining 512 in the fourth slot.

Good luck.

Bill

edited to add: The new memory should be PNP and the computer will recognize it on the next bootup.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Hey Matt,

That's a lappy right? I'm not real up on them but I've encountered issues adding memory that didn't come from Dell to Dell systems. Anyway, the first thing I'd do is take the memory back out and blow the slots out. Yea, I know it sounds stupid but grab a can of duster and give them a good blowing out. It doesn't take much for them not to make proper contact.

Then start with one stick in one slot at a time. If that works move that stick to the next slot and so on. Then try the same thing with the other stick. Point being is to see if each stick works alone and in all slots. Then try both.

Memory is a bit fussy about seating it also. Make sure it's firmly seated in the slots. Firmly. Did I say firmly? Hum... if not... Firmly. Kind of wiggle it down in. Firmly.

Memory address line failure at address, read value expecting value

During memory test, value read at address was incorrect. Faulty or improperly seated DIMMs or defective system board.

Copied from the Dell support site.

Memory is a bit fussy about seating it also. Make sure it's firmly seated in the slots. Firmly. Did I say firmly? Hum... if not... Firmly. Kind of wiggle it down in. Firmly.

:bow: GURU! :bow:

That was it, I didn't seat one of the sticks in there good enough.

I don't know if Guru is the right word but thanks! Experience is probably more like it, LOL! I've built and rebuilt quite a few desktop systems for myself, family and friends and I've picked up a few things along the way! :roflol: