Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bulging primer

rjkelso

Hey guys I have a question. When I shoot my ICORE loads (3.8 Clays under a 200gr lead bullet) out of my 625 5in circa 1988 the primers bulge to the rear locking up the cylinder (titanium). I can open and close the cylinder by hand it's not jambed up. But no more shooting is possible unless I advance the cylinder by hand. This does not occur in my 1911 or my 625 4in. I think this started to occur before the IRC. I thought the sticking was the hand (floating) at that time, which came apart so I replaced it.

Anyway to restate the primers bulge backward, like a little hat. Evenly, the dimples appear normal. Sorry no pics the camera is not available to me.

Can you help me?

Rick

Sounds like you cases are kinda sticking in your chambers not allowing them to move back against the recoil shield keeping the primers in place.

I am not real sure about what kind of pressure that load is making it may not be making enough pressure to push the cases back.

Have you had the chambers polished?

Sounds like you cases are kinda sticking in your chambers not allowing them to move back against the recoil shield keeping the primers in place.

I am not real sure about what kind of pressure that load is making it may not be making enough pressure to push the cases back.

Have you had the chambers polished?

I polished them myself. Sometime ago. I don't know if I did a very good job. PF on that load is 144. Could it be that the chambers are dirty? I'll look things over and try again.

Thank you

Sounds like a function of pressure, and the recessed firing pin bushing.

When you fire a normal round, the firing pin drives the cartridge forward and fires the round, the burning powder forces the case back, in a perfect world the pressure expands the case and the primer is supported by the firing pin bushing/breach face.

If there is not enough pressure to push the case back the primer is apt to push back and bind the cylinder. This is common on firing cases without bullets or powder.

In your case, I would repair the bushing, so its flush. For the hell of it try a hotter load to see if the pressure will push the case back flush with the primer. You still might get some drag from the recessed bushing.

vrmn1 the area that immediately surrounds the firing pin hole is recessed. On my 4in it's flush. Can that be moved forward again?

Thanks guys,

Upon closer inspection and some help from Carmoney I have discovered that the firing pin bushing has recessed itself. I wish I could fix this myself but probably not.

Thanks again for your helpful responses,

Rick Kelso

How do you get the FP bushing out?

You punch it out from the back where the hammer nose ( firing pin) goes in, put the new one in from the cylinder side, and stake it in.

You can do it yourself, but I would recommend to send it to Smith and let them do it.