Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Primer issue

Guys,

Just changed from rifle back to pistol and some of my primers are getting seated sideways. It looks like the shell plate is index .001 to far and the the edge for the primer is catching the shell plate as it gets seated turning it sideways. Any ideas on how to correct.

Thanks,

SDlocal

Edited by SDlocal

First, be sure you changed the primer seating punch to the larger one, which has a silver bushing. Next, be sure the primer seating assembly is threaded all the way up into the underside of the platform. If it isn't, the resultant gap allows primers to flip. Next, adjust the station two locator arm to within .005"-.010" of touching the case. This allows the case and primer to center on each other, without the case coming out of the shellplate. The top of the primer seating punch should be no higher than flush with the top of the bushing(without any weight on it), and no more than .020" below flush. Be sure the U-shaped notches in the shellplate are centered over the primer. Push down on the edge of the shellplate at staion 4; if it feels springy, then the shellplate bolt needs to be tightened a bit. :ph34r:

Thanks for help! It turns out the two hex screws under the shell plate were loose allowing the ram head to wobble out of alignment. Tightened those down and fixed. I double checked all of Dillion's points for good measure.

If the two ram head bolts were loose, you may wish to call Dillon and get an alignment tool. I took the head off of the ram for cleaning and spring replacement and did not know I had to re-align the toolhead. Once I had that done, all operations smoothed out.

Guys,

Just changed from rifle back to pistol and some of my primers are getting seated sideways. It looks like the shell plate is index .001 to far and the the edge for the primer is catching the shell plate as it gets seated turning it sideways. Any ideas on how to correct.

Thanks,

SDlocal

(* I apologize if I am not using the correct part names, I am new to the 650 and I most likely am not using the correct names or terms when describing the parts and actions, but I hope my meaning is clear. :wacko: *)

I too am having this problem on a 38 Super Auto setup. I happens about 4-5 times per 100. I have gone thru the adjustments of the station 2 arm and checked the assemble bolts. What I did notice is that the indexing disk is not all of the way over the primer when I am attempting to seat the primer. It lacks just a little nudge to center up. Once I push the handle back, the disk centers up (due to the case in station 1 centering on the die, I think), however this is too late for seating the primer.

Is there an adjustment for how far the indexing disk is moved during the return stroke?

Thanks for any help you may offer.

Dwight