Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP Loading gate mods

TXMXRACER

Hey GotM4, just a heads up, when you are in the heat of the match, and you stuff a round in the tube, and your thumb goes in too far, and you feel one of those forks on the carrier sink in to your thumb, take just one extra second to reach around with the other hand and release the carrier off your thumb. Some people are just full of piss and vinegar and think they can just snatch their thumb out and it will be ok. :wacko: As long as you are in the match and the adrenaline is flowing (along with the blood) it will be ok. It is on the ride home when your thumb feels like a truck ran over it that you will be thinking that maybe it wasn't such a good idea. Along with that, does anyone know how much you can round over those forks to make them "more user friendly", not that I would ever need that info or anything.... :roflol:

Found that out today. I guess I was full of piss and vinegar.

• 2 weeks later...
Had the same thing happen to me today. Does anyone have info on welding the carrier up? Is there anyone that will do this service? I may as well have hit my thumb with a hammer, except it bled more this way.

Benny Hill can do it.

Henry Avant 478-986-4156 can do it.

You will spend as much shipping the gun as you will for getting it done. Take the carrier out of the gun or have a local smith do it and you can ship it in an envelope.

Had the same thing happen to me today. Does anyone have info on welding the carrier up? Is there anyone that will do this service? I may as well have hit my thumb with a hammer, except it bled more this way.

Benny Hill can do it.

You will spend as much shipping the gun as you will for getting it done. Take the carrier out of the gun or have a local smith do it and you can ship it in an envelope.

Having my carrier welded as we speak by Jeff Cockrum @ c-rums.com. He's well known in the Benelli world for fixing the same problem there. Sent him my benelli and FN SLP carriers last week. I'll post pictures when I get them back in a week or so.

Robert

Benny Hill can do it.

Having my carrier welded as we speak by Jeff Cockrum @ c-rums.com. He's well known in the Benelli world for fixing the same problem there. Sent him my benelli and FN SLP carriers last week. I'll post pictures when I get them back in a week or so.

Robert

FYI - all it takes is removal of the trigger group and shipping that. Trigger group is held in by 2 pins that are easy to punch out. Took me 30 seconds. Shipping the trigger group is cheap.

Like I had mentioned in another thread.....as soon as I got the mods done to the FNH SLP, I'd post pictures.

It appears that if you really study the way that action works you can remove alot of metal to your advantage. You can also destroy a perfectly good reciever too!! The later did not happen (whew!! :surprise: )

Anyways.....We've got it so you can't get your thumb jabbed by the pickle forked ends.....well, thats because I removed one. I wish I could say I'm the first to do this...but good ole' P.E. Kelly did this once before....he knows alot more than he ever lets on to by the way. P.E. Kelly's Winchester Mod

Anyways, here they are......remove metal at your own risk!! I would say that I went to the absolute extreme on this....yes, it works great!!! I am now a weak hand loader.

post-2749-1253216368_thumb.jpg

post-2749-1253216384_thumb.jpg

Edited by TRUBL

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow response. I promised that after I got my welded carriers back that I'd post a report.

Well, I forgot to take a picture of it, but attached is a picture of my benelli m2 done at the same time by Jeff Cockrum at www.c-rums.com

I must say, after my trip to the range last weekend, that there is a night and day difference. I can load as fast as possible without fear of damage to my thumb. The only think on the FN that slows me down is now the foreend that needs to be trimmed (not an issue on the Benelli).

Jeff charges $30 for the weld job. I'm picking up another Benelli soon, and it'll be going to him as well.

I'll do my best to snap a few close up pics of both guns and add them to this post in the next day or two.

Robert

post-20956-1255450206_thumb.jpg

Edited by rmcalhany