Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder recommendations for lead with wax

For outdoor matches and practice I like shooting lead bullets that I get locally. My only problem is that the lead and/or wax smoke considerably when using Titegroup. I would like to be able to use the same powder for 9, .40, and .45, but it is not a necessity. I do need to make major in both .40 and .45.

Any suggestions for what powder to try and maybe even loads for 124gr LRN 9mm, 170gr TCBB .40, and 230gr LRN .45?

For lead the standard by which I judge all other powders is Unique. Less smoke, less leading, and accuracy are top notch. For what you are doing I run Clays, but I am dealing with leading I would not have to deal with if I used Unique to have a softer shooting load.

Try WST. It is cheap and available. It is the least smoky powder I have found with lead. I also hear Solo 1000 being floated around quite a bit.

+1

Tried many powders and also found WST to be the lowest smoke with lead. I use it in 9mm, low recoil, clean, fills the case about 3/4th, and meters well. The only negative I can say it is not as accurate as some other powders I have tried, but still accuracy in not bad. Also, very soft shooting.