Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tool for picking up the case reloading pins

NoTenX

in need of a tool to pick the brass locating pins out of the holes in the shell plate use the L shape brakets slots that you have left over after inserting a card in the slot. the notch where the screw goes easily hooks the brass pin and also allows it to be put back in the shell plate now if someone knows a good way of finding all those nonmagnetic brass pins before they get sucked out of the shag carpet by the vacuum cleaner

• 2 weeks later...
now if someone knows a good way of finding all those nonmagnetic brass pins before they get sucked out of the shag carpet by the vacuum cleaner

If you've got a shop vac cut the foot off of an old pair of pantyhose and use it as a strainer, placed at the joint betweenthe flexible hose and the hard plastic extension. Since anything that's sharp will probably shred this setup, vacuum only the area where they were lost. This might work for lost primers as well, YMMV :ph34r:

I have a small mesh bag (very fine mesh) that I use with a mini-shop vac.

in need of a tool to pick the brass locating pins out of the holes in the shell plate use the L shape brakets slots that you have left over after inserting a card in the slot. the notch where the screw goes easily hooks the brass pin and also allows it to be put back in the shell plate now if someone knows a good way of finding all those nonmagnetic brass pins before they get sucked out of the shag carpet by the vacuum cleaner

I keep a pair of stainless steel "bent-nose" tweezers on the bench for that very thing...no chance of damaging the locator buttons and makes it quick & easy if you have to remove/replace in the middle of a run especially on, a SDB.

now if someone knows a good way of finding all those nonmagnetic brass pins before they get sucked out of the shag carpet by the vacuum cleaner

been there, done that.. it's in my post of things NOT to do with your new 550. Nothing like sucking up one of the brass pins in a 5 gallon shopvac half full of sawdust and dog hair.

Somewhere on the forum there is a post with a tip where little plastic tabs are used with those locator pins. Some type of thin plastic sheet or ribbon was used. The male part of the locator pin goes through it like a bolt through a washer. It stays there all the time. The plastic has a long tail that sticks out and makes it easy to grab. (shred or Nik...do you recall?)