Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rant before Road Rage takes over....

Sestock

Mike,

I pulled over her sister one day.

She was driving on the L I E with a stack of papers in front of her and all over the passenger seat.

She was a teacher marking her students papers on her way home from work while driving.

Almost as bad was the guy reading the newspaper while driving.

Newspaper open across the steering wheel while hes doing 50mph or so in the morning traffic.

Thay left our encounter with a "souvenier" to remind them of the rules of the road.

JK

I hate the drivers that do 45 on a 55 stretch of road, then when you get to the passing lane they speed up to 70. Then when the passing lane ends, back to 45. :angry:

I'm with you 100%.

Also for the comment about Ohio drivers and the left lane: Thank you guys for confirming what I have been saying for years!!!!

Another pet peeve: people on cell phones. Hang up and drive!!

Edited by Tom S.

Mark, thanks for reminding me why I like you. Kindred souls separated by a couple of states. :cheers:

No doubt, a case of "Twin Sons of a Different Mother"

:D

====================

Merging? I first encountered this lack of understanding when I lived in Oklahoma about 25 years ago. Folks would haul ass to the bottom of the on ramp, and then stop (!) to check the traffic to their left. Scared the pure hell out of me until I learned to expect it (not that Oklahoma has a choke-hold on this particularly crazy tactic).

"AGKLM"

Aim high in steering. If you can't put it where it needs to go without impeding other drivers, practice down in the back 40 before venturing out into traffic again.

Get the Big Picture. Studies show that most people (none on this forum, I'm sure) look no further than the bumper of the car in front of them, or 100 yards, whichever is closer. That's a recipe for disaster and inconvenience.

Keep your eyes moving. Let 'em rest for 5 seconds and you're already behind the power curve.

Leave Yourself An Out. That's why I don't ride next to people and get highly annoyed with those rubber-band folks that think once you're near them they have to hang on your rear quarter panel as if there's safety in numbers.

Make Sure They See you. If you have to drive with your lights on all the time, or use your horn to get someone's attention, or moon them out the driver's side window, make sure they know you are where you are.

Simply rules, but ones to live by...

I recognize these from the Smith Safe Driving School that trained the City of Minneapolis Employees in the late 70's. Great, simple rules.

Only thing I would add is that your brake is the powerful control on the vehicle, speed up on the ramp and then use the brake to merge smoothly into the traffic. Most vehicles can not accelerate hard enoughto get into freeway traffic from a dead stop at the bottom of the ramp!

I hate the drivers that do 45 on a 55 stretch of road, then when you get to the passing lane they speed up to 70. Then when the passing lane ends, back to 45. :angry:

I'm with you 100%.

Also for the comment about Ohio drivers and the left lane: Thank you guys for confirming what I have been saying for years!!!!

Another pet peeve: people on cell phones. Hang up and drive!!

Gotta agree with you on this one.

Being from South Carolina, we have a lot of visitors passing through going to the beaches. I-26 from May - September is hell, especially on Saturdays when people are coming and going to the beaches. I shoot 2 matches a month which require me to drive on I26. When I shoot in Summerville, it takes me aprrox 2 hours to drive 83 miles because of the traffic. It is not uncommon for both lanes to be backed up as far as the eye can see because an 18 wheeler is in the right lane and an over-loaded mini-van with bicycles all over it is in the left lane. The worst offenders are those from Ohio followed closely by Kentucky and Tennessee. Our speed limit is 70 mph in most places and those driving in the left lane at 65 mph or less are the ones that cause accidents (causing people to get impatient and get dangerous). Our law mandates that the left lane is for passing only and the "slow traffic must keep left". Troopers here will stop you for it.

So, we don't mind you coming and spending your vacation here. Just be repectful when you are on the road - if, while driving in the left lane of an interstate, you look in your rear view mirror and see traffic backed-up for miles, get out of the way and let people by! :angry2:

As for cell phones....some people are just not capable of multi-tasking...