Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

oppinions on the 300 ultra mag wanted.....

gingerbreadman

What are you hunting?

I am like Ron, I have no use for it.  If you want to throw a 180 gr fast you run into the laws of physics.  you reach a point of diminishing returns.  I have not seen one shoot a 180 at more than 3300+/-.  999 of 1000 guys cannot hit a deer sized target at 300 much less more than that, so what is the big deal?  If you have a rifle that will throw a 180 at 3050 or so, that is all you need.  My 300 H&H will do that and not burn the throat out of my rifle in 350 rounds or punish me with 50 lbs of recoil.  All the Ultra Mag cartridges and all the new Short Mags are just a marketing tool used by the gun companies.

I talked to the guys at Hart barrels and they are hearing that the 300 Short mags are having some pressure problems trying to push that big bullet fast from that short bottle.  The short squat cartridges should be very good in 7mm or 270 but unless you have a quantum break through in propellants, the current status is the big Mags use anywhere from 12 to 24% more powder to get about 150+ fps more than the 300 Win, and the Short Mags have pressure problems trying to get to what the 300 Win does with the same bullets.

If you are determined to get 3500 with the 180 gr bullet, pay your money and take your chances; 300 Ultra, 30-378, Lazzaroni what ever.

Just my .02 worth.

The 300 RUM is overkill. It only changes the trajectory minimally. The 338 RUM at least is using heavier bullets for the dangerous stuff. For the majority the .300 Win, .300 WSM etc. will do everything you need to do.

Tightloop,

I have one of the 300 WSM and no problems at all. It is shorter, lighter, takes less powder to get the same performance as my 300 Win Mag. Out of all the new Short mags it is the most likely one to actually survive more than a couple years.

Chriss

Glad you are not having any problems with your WSM, I was just repeating what the guys at Hart barrels were telling me.  I did some investigation to help my buddy who is building a new 300 and he wanted to go with 300 WSM, but after serveral comments like the one from Hart, he is chambering it for 30-338,  If it doesn't do what he thinks it should, out with the old and in with the new.  Going to go with the 300RUM, and just not load it to max .  I think the 300RUM is over the top in recoil, throat erosion, ammo cost, and either the 300 Win or something of that nature is a better choice.

BTW, Chriss, have you put yours on the chrono, I would be curious to see just how fast it is really going with a 180.

(Edited by tightloop at 8:43 am on Dec. 17, 2002)

Hehe i got a pretty good debate going here didnt i......

Ok ill tell the whole storie, i have owned a remington 700 lss (lamintaed stock, stainless barrel) in 300 ultra mag for about 2 years now,

PROS AS I SEE IT:

i shoot the 180 grains at 3300 fps with no problem and i havent pushed it any further, my neighbours 300 weatherby does 3200 with out a problem and we punched it up to 3250 and got pressure,

The real benifit to the 300 ultra is in the 220 grain bullets, i chrony them at 3100 fps, that is a incredible difference over any 300 and with it being such a long bullet it gives a super ballistic co efficient...... I have yet to shoot anything with this rifle but i suspect it will perform the same as a 300 wby or win......

the cost of 300 ultra ammo is alot greater than 300 winchester i agree, but its still cheaper than 300 weatherby...... And if your reloading it makes no difference really, i use 92 grains of 7828 for the 180 and 87 of 7828 for the 220, the weatherby uses 85 ish grains of powder and the winchester  uses i think 75 ish grains.......The kicker for the reloading is the brass, it is more expensive than weatherby and winchester brass but not by a whole pile, i payed $88 for 100 rounds of 300 ultra, the weatherby brass costs around $60 or so and the winchester costs a little less than the weatherby....... primers and bullets are the same of course for all calibers, reloading dies cost the same as the rest also.......

CONS AS I SEE IT:  

Say you go hunting way up north or something and need to buy ammo, the chances of there being 300 ultra in stock are rare but 300 weatherby would be just as rare.......

recoil, yes there is more recoil with the 220 than any 300 win i ever shot, but the 180 grains are pretty much comparable to any weatherby and a little harder than the win (this also heavily depends on the gun)

throat errosion, that is accually the first iv ever thought about throat errosion in my gun, I could see the lazaroni or 30-378wby being bad for that but i am fairly sure burning 92 grains of 7828 will get me one hell of a lot more than 350 rounds out of my barrel, i would suspect ill get as much as a 300 win....... but guys this i dont  know about so some more disccusion would be appreaciated greatly......

this a interesting thread i started here....lets keep it going

-gbm-

Tightloop,

The mine I was referring to is a Rem 700 in .300 RUM, of course evryone should have a .308 ( or two ) as well.

On the subject of throat erosion, I've often wondered why a .300 RUM would have a shorter barrel life than a .223.  Both cartridges are pushing bullets to similar velocity.  Any ideas?

When I said I had no use for one, I didn't mean the cartridge is useless, lol. I personally shoot a custom rifle in .30-338. Yes, that's a .338 Win Mag necked down to .30. I don't need nor want anything more.

The debate over the big magnums hasn't changed in 20 years. The advantages are as always, lots of thump downrange and flat shooting.

The disadvantages are also the same (from a hunting perspective). Lots of thump (recoil) and flat shooting (to the point people abuse the ballistics). I don't want to get into a huge flame war about hunting with magnums because this is a competition forum. Let's just say the new generation of magnums are really cool for experienced riflemen with common sense who want to play around with them. On the down side, they are detrimental to the new hunters and are contributing to "slob" hunting and poor decision making.

Guys the thing I like about the 300 RUM is the lack of a belt on the case.  "I feel" as do many others that a belt less case is inherently more accurate then a belted case.  Just as the shorter fatter cases are usually considered more accurate then a standard length case in the same caliber.  The PPC cases have dominated the benchrest scene. So what do you think.

The biggest mistake I think Remington did was to change the case size of the 338 RUM they should have just opened up the neck of the 300 RUM.  They have basically made a beltless 338 win. ballisticly anyway.

Shipster

specifically, tell my how how a beltless case is more accurate than a belted one assuming the same care is taken to chamber each.

I understand the short fat concept as put forth by Louis Palmissano and Ferris Pindell, and have a 22PPC that has shot a group of .110.  But I have 3 hunting rifles, all belted mags, two that shoot less than .3 and a 375H&H that will shoot less than .5.

TL,

I think it comes from the theoretical advantage of a case headspaceing off of the shoulder rather than a rim. If the brass is out of spec the rim could cause a possible problem. My .300 Win Mag shoots under .5 so I think it is more of a "well it could" type situation.

Chriss

I understand.  but anything could cause errant shots.  I think bullets would be a more acceptable suspect than the belted brass.  I can't remember ever having a belted mag that wouldn't shoot if it was chambered by someone who even halfway knew what they were doing.

Chriss is correct on the head spacing off of the shoulder rather then the belt.  Chriss is also correct on the belts being out of spec, this happens more often then most shooters realize.  In the bench rest world case prep includes measuring the belt of the case to make sure their uniform.  Tightloop I agree that a good chamber is needed and that is a big part of the picture but the belt is going to dictate the bullet jump in the throat of that chamber, and seating depth is critical to accuracy.  I to have a very accurate magnum a .338 win built on a Ruger action with a Lilja Stainless barrel.  It was a bigger hassle to get it their then most of my none belted cases.  By the way Tightloop that’s a pretty awesome group out of that .375, my shoulder hurts thinking about it. :)

Those of you reloading for the 300RUM, what bullet and powder do you like the best, and what OAL are you loading with your chosen bullet? Thanks.

John Dunn,

When referring to the throat erosion comparison of the 223 and 300RUM, it has more to do with the amount of powder being burned than it does bullet velocity.

We have some do-gooders donw here that want to ban them also. They are the dreaded LOOONG range weapon of choice of snipers you know! They dedicated a whole show on the security risk it presents to the Secret service trying to protect the President and a bunch of other BS reasons. Oh god, please protect me from myself I own a gun. I wish these A&&holes actually had a real job then they wouldn't have time to worry what the rest of of do!

Ya no kidden, in canada we have gun control, every single gun needs to be registered in one gigantic government database, man i wish a hacker would lay a smack down on that thing and show them a lesson, you yanks got it a lot better than us up here i tell ya.....

-gbm-