Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro's & Con's Of Thumb Rests

vous

You're going to get about 5 different replies;

1. Yes they keep the thumb out of the way

2. Yes, if you push down on it a little it reduces perceived muzzle-flip

3. No, it slows down your draw time as you muck around getting the thumb in the right place

4. No, it's a waste of time

5. What's a thumb rest ?

I tried one for a while, if I exerted pressure on the rest the gun flipped less. But I noticed that one speed shoots I was conscious of getting my thumb in the right place. It felt weird taking it off for a while but now I feel more comfortable without it.

Eric still has one on his gun as do a lot of others. It all ultimately comes down to personal preference. Some like it, some don't. It's just something that you have to try, if you can borrow one and try it for a few matches that would be your best bet.

I have always worked towards a grip balanced between left and right hands with zero tendency to pull shots in one direction or the other. A thumb rest has proven to me to unbalance my grip and induce a tendency towards pulling shots low. What is your reason for using one ?

One more thing on top of Brit's comments is that I found that I tended to "drive" the gun down with my thumb. Far enough down that on transitions I would lose the dot. I took mine off. I might have done it too quickly though. Might be that it is something that is not immediately helpful but with practice is. I'm not sure. Some top shooters use 'em some don't. Most guys shooting in Open out here run them.

Thanks for the input so far. I have been thinking about all the things mentioned so far so thought I would ask before going to the expense of buying one and then not liking it.

I think I will take the advice and try and borrow one to see how it feels.

Again many thanks.

The main reason I use one is to lift the gun off a table. I run one on my IPSC gun and I don't on my Steel Challenge gun I may end up shooting one gun on Sat and the other on Sunday.

<_< , If I had a free one I would put it on my Steel gun too.

Edited by AlamoShooter