Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big mags for my old Gold Team and Powder Questions

I'm new to Tanfoglios, but CZ literate as I've owned them for years. I've been researching mag options for feeding my old 9x21 Gold Team. The gun came with a stock mag with a BRIGHT YELLOW +2 steel base pad. I want to make sure of the options. Here's my list

Stock 16 rnd mag and CPMI+3 pad=19 total cost @$45

Stock 16 rnd mag and Pearce+2=18 total cost @$34

Stock mag + tanfoglio pad= 18 total cost @$57

CZ SP-01 mag = 18 or 19 maybe combined with a +2 basepad for 21 or maybe total cost @$55+

CZ 25 rnd mag? Will it work? I think I read it needs to be trimmed a bit for the 170mm mag gauge.

total cost @$67

I'd like to get 21+ in a mag if possible and cheaply as possible

ALSO..

What powder for loading Major PF for the 9x21?????- Seems that Win 540 was popular back in the day, with Hodgdon HS-6 as a substitute. Short OAL recipes seem to be uncommon. I did find the J. MAAS list of 9x21 loads. Vit N350 seems to be popular now, but it is difficult to get where I live. Choosing between 115 vs. 124/5 grain bullets is another problem.

thanks for your help!!

I'm new to Tanfoglios, but CZ literate as I've owned them for years. I've been researching mag options for feeding my old 9x21 Gold Team. The gun came with a stock mag with a BRIGHT YELLOW +2 steel base pad. I want to make sure of the options. Here's my list

Stock 16 rnd mag and CPMI+3 pad=19 total cost @$45

Stock 16 rnd mag and Pearce+2=18 total cost @$34

Stock mag + tanfoglio pad= 18 total cost @$57

CZ SP-01 mag = 18 or 19 maybe combined with a +2 basepad for 21 or maybe total cost @$55+

CZ 25 rnd mag? Will it work? I think I read it needs to be trimmed a bit for the 170mm mag gauge.

total cost @$67

I'd like to get 21+ in a mag if possible and cheaply as possible

ALSO..

What powder for loading Major PF for the 9x21?????- Seems that Win 540 was popular back in the day, with Hodgdon HS-6 as a substitute. Short OAL recipes seem to be uncommon. I did find the J. MAAS list of 9x21 loads. Vit N350 seems to be popular now, but it is difficult to get where I live. Choosing between 115 vs. 124/5 grain bullets is another problem.

thanks for your help!!

Pivoproseem,

Check this thread and in particular my load data for 9mm Major

8.4 gr HS6

124 gr Hornady FMJ-ENC

OAL 1.160

All of my data is with OAL in the 1.160 range. The data should give you a good starting point for 9x21 reduce the data and work up and you should be ok.

Alan

1.15 OAL

7.3 gr VV350

Winchester or CCI Small rifle

130 gr MG Super FMJ RN

about 170PF

They are expensive (well, I think so, but when compared to an S_I mag they're not) but EAA had or has some small frame 25 round big sticks that are not too long. They are about $110 each. The build quality is far superior than that of the 25 round cz mag. And yes, the cz mag is too long.

If you want a CZ 25 round mag anyway, I bought two, I'll sell you one. PM me.

thanks guys,

Alan, I'd found your link the day before, but wasn't really thinking when I asked the question..I just had gun powder on the brain. Glk21c, I might be interested, but I'm going to try to run a whole 25 rnd mag through my gun first (If CZ-USA shooter Matt Mink has one I can borrow to try out) I'll probably go with the stock mag + CPMI bases+ follower mod.

Is the frame of the Gold Team Stainless?? or is a "wonder" type finish - Mine seems to have some staining on it and the polished sides seem to easily scratched- I wonder if it'd take a park job? I'm not a fan of shiny things!

WooHoo, I snagged a big mag at at the same place I got my bargain Gold Team. It's a factory mag with a ???+5??? basepad. The mag holds at least 21. I'll post a pic Monday, maybe someone can tell me who made it.

• 3 months later...
ALSO..

thanks for your help!!

With regards to powder selection, I'm not sure why we're not seeing more about IMR 7625 here. If I recall correctly, Henning recommends this as a possibility, but also virtually everyone that I know shooting 9mm major in SV's and STI's are using this now. I recall that for years it was Todd Jarrett's choice for .38 super as well.

With 124/125gr bullets, you can only go a bit longer in a 9x19 case. This still helps, but they are also making major with JHP's using standard Small Pistol Primers (not the SP Magnum or Smal Rifle primer we were all using back in the day). Even using these much softer primers they are only seeing very mild flattening; pressures look great.

I also observe that so many different powders feel so very different. In Open-class, comped pistols I find that to my hands, the VV N350 is my favorite for .40 and is a close second behind 7625 for 9mm. I believe that 7625 hands down offers the finest balance between very flat shooting (the ability to work the ports and/or comp) and very soft shooting in 9mm major rounds.

Way back I used HS7 (Winchester 571) mostly, though I tried HS6 (Win 540), Power Pistol, the old Action Pistol, and many others...everything except 7625. At that time a compressed-charge of the HS7(571) behind a 115gr worked best for me because it shot so flat, pressures were hot but acceptable, but it was a hard, slamming recoil...the same kind I felt from VV-3N37 only worse. It broke a lot of slide-stop pins.

Working with a friend's old 9x21 small frame Gold Team (with plain-Jane, old-school, 90's EAA 3-chamber comp), somehow the smaller charge of much faster 7625 behind a 124gr shoots just as flat, feels a great deal softer, and the pressures are lower as well. I wish that I had tried this way back when...

Oh, can't shoot 115gr in USPSA/IPSC anymore, so your other problem has soved itself. I hope that this helps someone.

I like 7625 in my Gold Team. I couldn't use it when loading on my SDB (powder would spill during indexing). My new Hornady press is much less violent. I wonder if 7625 would work in a Gold Team 9mm with all those ports? My 38SC is pretty full at 7.2 - 7.4 gr. Would that be a compressed load? How much less powder would you need if there were no ports?