Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp vs. no comp in limited/tactical iron

HoMiE

Just starting out, I am shooting a basic NM A2 iron sighted rifle in multigun matches. At my local matches, I am basically the only one with irons and no comp. I guess it is legal to use a comp, but is it necessary as my rifle is pretty heavy as it is.

Just starting out??? Welcome to the wonderful world of 3 GUN!!!!

Comps are legal and will help a lot on splits....that being said. There is basically 3 things you can do to tame the muzzle flip and recoil of your AR

1. lightened bolt carrier system (less mass)

2. adjustable gas system (less gas to move the less mass)

3. comp

All of these help to some degree and doing all three will make your rifle feel more like a .22RF

Now....that being said....run what you brung. Ask questions, see what the over guys (gals) are doing. Don't make any hasty equipment decisions until you've had a few matches under your belt and talked with people. Heck, I bet someone may even let you try their rifle to show the difference in recoil.

But in answer to your question....YES.....comps are a good thing and you will notice a defference between a comp'd/non-comp'd rifle.

And thank you for NOT asking which one is best!!! There are about 5 or 6 out there that are the best.....depending what YOU like and how much YOU want to spend.

Tim

The two key things needed on a good competition 3 gun rifle are a comp and trigger. I run a JP gunsmith fit trigger and SJC Titan comp.

The comp makes a huge difference as does the trigger.

There are several trigger and comp options. What I have chosen are what I have found to be the best. I will say I'm not scared to spend money and don't put a budget on my gear for this game.

Welcome to the game and have fun! :cheers: