Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help starting out in EZWinScore

Dave Gundry

Hey all - I've decided I can further help my club by occasionally doing scoring for the local matches. I have the CD (v3.06), got it installed, put masternames.db and master.dll into the EzWinScore folder. But, when I create a dummy match to see how everything works in the program, I'm not getting any competitor names up... Is there something I have to do to show EWS where the db file is?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this - if so, please let me know where this type of resource exists online...

Under SETUP, once you have opened a match file you have to register competitors and define stages before you can enter scores. Competitors can be selected from the master database or entered manually (that will also add them to the master database).

I have opened a new match file, called it test, made up 2 stages, and when I go to the master database, nothing is in there. It was my understanding that all of the usual competitors would be listed... do I have to enter them all manually the first time?

Master DatabaseFrom the EZWin Help topic "masternames.db" topic:

The master database file name is masternames.db and is found in the same directory as the EzWinScore program files. This directory is chosen during the program installation. With versions of EzWinScore prior to Windows Vista, the default location was C:\Program Files\USPSA\EzWinScore. However, because of complications introduced by Microsoft with programs installed in Program Files, EzWinScore version 3.00 and later will be installed in a default directory of C:\USPSA\EzWinScore. USPSA does not recommend installing EzWinScore in the Program Files directory of Windows Vista unless you are prepared to turn off Windows User Account Control and “folder virtualization.” These new "features" will prevent you from replacing your masternames database if installed in Program Files.

You should be able to copy the masternames file from the regular scoring computer to yours, in the appropriate directory per the above, to populate it.

Where did you tell ezwinscore to install, or rather, where is it installed? The default for V3 is c:\USPSA; the default for V2 was c:\Program Files\USPSA.

Next, if it is indeed installed anywhere under c:\Program Files, are you running Windows Vista?

Installed on XP in C:\USPSA. Seems like EWS is recognizing the database (about gives me the version of the database), but it seems like the db is empty. Others I talked to at our weekly match said the first time you'll have to manually enter names, but some more computer literate folks told me I'd just have to get the actual used db file from someone that has it...

Okay, so you're running XP and allowed him to follow the default, good! Your copy is therefore installed in c:\USPSA\EzWinScore (browse there to make sure that's correct). EZWS of course is shipped with an empty masternames.db file, but you can take ANYONE's populated masternames and just copy it into the install folder and begin to use it. (EzWinScore cannot be up and running when you do this.) When you do, windows of course should ask you if you really want to overlay this copy of the file with that one. If it doesn't, you're not copying it into the right place.

You can also doubleclick on the Adaptive Server Anywhere (infofile) icon in the Systray (the area containing the time of day) as shown below and have him pop up a window showing you specifically where the databases are that he's opened on your computer.

post-2179-1217598179_thumb.jpg

Dave,

either see if you can grab a copy from whomever used to do scores for your club, or if that's not possible, try to grab the database from the largest club in close proximity --- that should at least give you a chunk of the shooters at your match. The others you'll need to add as you go along --- it might help if the stats folks asked everyone to fill out all info for at least the first few matches....

We typically get a couple of new shooters (or new to us shooters) every month, everyone else exists in the database. When inputting USPSA numbers --- use the dropdown for the prefix; if you type A- or TY- instead, the monthly update files won't find those shooters in your database.... (I believe the correct format is Axxxxx, with xxs denoting the numbers; but I'm not positive. I do know I spent quite a while editing out the - connecting the prefix and numbers in my database....)

When inputting USPSA numbers --- use the dropdown for the prefix; if you type A- or TY- instead, the monthly update files won't find those shooters in your database.... (I believe the correct format is Axxxxx, with xxs denoting the numbers; but I'm not positive. I do know I spent quite a while editing out the - connecting the prefix and numbers in my database....)

I was curious about that. I can't type A- or TY- or whateverprefix-dash at all on my system. ezws 3.06 won't take alpha characters in the numeric part of the uspsa number, and if you move to the pulldown prefix part and start to type A, he automatically opens the pulldown and goes directly to that, and you still can't type the '-'.

When inputting USPSA numbers --- use the dropdown for the prefix; if you type A- or TY- instead, the monthly update files won't find those shooters in your database.... (I believe the correct format is Axxxxx, with xxs denoting the numbers; but I'm not positive. I do know I spent quite a while editing out the - connecting the prefix and numbers in my database....)

I was curious about that. I can't type A- or TY- or whateverprefix-dash at all on my system. ezws 3.06 won't take alpha characters in the numeric part of the uspsa number, and if you move to the pulldown prefix part and start to type A, he automatically opens the pulldown and goes directly to that, and you still can't type the '-'.

Cool! That means that whoever writes the code fixed it. My database still has a few A- in it --- from years ago. I hadn't noticed that problem had gone away --- but I may have originally noticed with version 2.2x or so.....

I wish you could, but you can't. (It's a strange database made up of several different tables, only two or three of which seem to actually do anything.) It would be nice. I could then get the clubs to send me their masternames.db files and merge them to send back out to the clubs a comprehensive database of everyone who has ever shot a match in a section club.

Yeah, it would be nice.

+10000

It would be nice to have all the members of USPSA in the EZWin DB with new member updates sent quarterly. ;)

That I don't see happening. USPSA is too worried about someone taking that much customer/member information and doing something with it other than it's intended purpose.

If you've got ezws and anything that can open an odbc connection (such as microsoft access), you can start the Adaptive Server Anywhere server with a shortcut targeting

"C:\Program Files\USPSA\EzWinScore\rteng9.exe" -n infofile

and then create a new empty msaccess mdb database, linking to the masternames machine data source name to look at the tables. I believe that DBA_classification and DBA_masterlist link to each other via the id_no and counter columns in the respective tables.