Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking for new powder for 9mm minor

dukhunt

HI fellow shooters, A friend of mine gave some bullets to try for 9mm minor, the bullet is a 9mm [.356] round nose lead. Weight of this bullet is 153 grains. loaded some with solo 1000, and they shot great, little smoky. Was wondering if anyone has tried WST or 700X, or is there a better powder ? I am loading these for a jr. shooter, and I ave shot these and they feel like a 22 mag. Looking to make about 130 PF, about 850 fps. OAL for these are 1.155 . Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by dukhunt

Make sure you check these one at a time. Heavy bullets in a 9mm especially downloaded to lower velocity have a tendency to tumble and keyhole the target. I once worked up a bunch of cast 147's. acuracy was great or so I thought I had one big hole in the center of the target after a few mags. Took em to a match and got down 5 down 5 down 5 etc for the keyholed holes.

Solo 1000 and WST are you two best bets for the smoke problem. You cannot get rid of all the smoke with lead. It's impossible. Watch for leading in the barrel. If the bullet is not sealing off in the back, you can get a sheering effect from gasses escaping around the bullet while in the rifling and you will see lead buildup fast. If you are not seeing any leading, the rounds are accuracte and make pf, I wouldn't change a thing.

I am using some Longshot I had for Major 9 in my 147 gr Precision Delta minor 9mm loads. 4.1 of Longshot with the 147 makes a 127 PF and is extremely soft shooting with accuracy to boot.

4.3 gr is my match load and makes 135 PF at around 920 fps. Accuracy is amazing but part of it may be my pistol.

I would think with the 153 lead you could make a very soft 130 pf load.

Craig