Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ at the range

conrad

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an interesting one today that should have been a double DQ. A first time shooter from Europe was being RO'ed by his friend from Europe. The first timer didn't speak very good English and we were staying hot going from string to string on a multi part stage. The RO went to go get more mags without telling the new shooter what to do. I was scoring and trying to stop the new shooter from drawing his loaded pistol and going to find his friend. Did I mention that he didn't speak english?

The last match at this club, the stage had 2 entrances to an engagement zone- each of which required backing away from the line. The shooter came out through the same hole he entered (which nobody else had). The RO was left standing in front of the shooter so the shooter actually starts to lean around the RO to engage his next target... thankfully they both figured out what was wrong and nobody got hurt.

The most flagrant DQ that I can remember was by an older shooter. On the "unload and show clear" command he fired a round over them berm at a 30 degree angle. The RO DQ'ed him right then and told him to go ahead and clear the weapon, at which point he puts a round into the ground right in front of his feet. He still had a loaded mag and both "hammer down" commands were punctuated with a bang. The RO then took the gun and cleared it for him.

(Note: To me up range is there where the targets are and down range from where the RO is whathing your antics)

Southern hemisphere reversal of direction?

Nope just personal stupidity.

I just re-read the tread and would like to add:

Fist DQ of my life, during a reload I manage to let one get away from met that made it into the C Zone of the next target, it was a long and lonely trip home.

Second DQ: First stage of a away match: RO "The range is closed, facing down range you may load and make ready." While I was drawing my gun I manage to fumble it to the ground. I shake my head, step off the line and unload my mags. The RO looks at me and ask, "What about the gun" I just hand him my gun bag and he does the rest. The RO never did get to DQ`me, I just did it all by myself. It was even a longer and lonelier trip home.

In my 20 years in the police I got shot a few times. Twice it was so-called friendly fire. Let me assure you there is no such a thing as "friendly fire". For some reason my left lower leg has a strong attraction for this. Got shot 4 times in the back by a suspect but since I was wearing a vest it only hurt and I did not get to bleed. The suspect died of lead poisoning.

Saw the video material of one guy going for his gun at the beep but getting a lot of jacket. As he draws the gun he manages to pull the hammer back and as the gun starts moving the hammer gets away form him and drops, he shoots himself through the holster through and through the leg. He did nothing unsafe and was just unlucky to get hurt. We push the envelope as hard as we can so it is possilbe for unintended discharges to happen. He had to wait in line at the hospital as they were snowed under by injuries sustained by youngsters taking part in a Rugby day. His injuries were mild compared to some sustained. Two weeks later he was shooting again.

Edited by Johann the Horrible

I started shooting competitively at a little indoor "outlaw" match run by the local indoor range. They weren't really clear about where to holster up etc. I was kneeling by my gun bag to get my stuff together when a shooter I know very well started clearing his gun to holster it next to me... muzzle about 12" from my head pointing at me. I saw the hole of the end of the barrel out of the corner of my eye.

My only DQ so far (knock wood). I took my brand new STI to our Sectional Championship. I was using a CR speed I had been using with my Kimber shooting L10. There was a car door you had to shove closed to activate a couple of pop-up targets. The door was kinda sticky so I wanted to make sure I gave a good shove. At the beep I put both arms into it and made damn sure it was activated. Right hand to the gun and WTH?! No gun. Looked down to see it lying at my feet. It did a complete 180 off the pin of the muzzle platform. I guess when I shoved I gave a pretty good hip snap just to make sure and snapped the gun right out of the holster. I Never did get that holster adjusted right for that gun. After buying a new holster, my 6yr old daughter giggled hysterically at me dancing and twisting my hips around the living room after setting up the NEW holster to make sure that didn't happen again.

I also saw a shooter who has been shooting the sport since close to it's inception shoot a course where there were 3 targets on the right. Matching on the left. A "hall" of barrels down the middle. The barrels were close enough to the first box that you had to pull the gun back to your chest to swing from the right targets to the left and back in again to start down the "hall". He drew, shot the 3 left targets, then spun to the left swinging the muzzle uprange past the crowd (who all ducked simultaneously), past the RO's face, and to the array on the right. The RO was so stunned he couldn't get out "stop". The shooter took a shot.. realized what he did.. stopped... ULASC'd himself before the RO could get anything out. In fact I think he was walking off to bag his gun before the RO could actually get a sound out.