Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most advantageous point to reload

Sac Law Man

...and what were the times?

I have no idea that was 8 months ago....

If you break down a reload into just the reload itself a slide lock reload is much faster but once you factor in reaquiring the sight picture and the ability to perform the reload while your moving (even if it's as simple as leaning from the left side of a barrier to the right) the slide lock reload may not be the fastest choice.

On another note, many shooters are afraid of the tac reload and avoid it at all costs where as they should be practising it and maybe it alone. Almost any shotoer can perform a slide lock any time, any place, but how many can perform a tac reload that way? A lot of guys get mentally tied into a knot when you throw a mandatory tac reload into the picture.

You're preaching to the choir with the last paragraph. I'm fond of the RWR when I've got space to move and have a gap in shooting anyway. Might as well reload. However, if your overall time on two shots on each side if a bianchi barricade are faster doing the 2-RWR-2 than 2-1-DR-1, then what needs work is reaquiring and shooting.

I can see in a well rehearsed drill on a range when you're warmed up the times for the RWR and DR being close enough for debate, but at a match, especially a major one, the more reliable play is the dry reload for that scenario, where there is little movement. Less things to go wrong.

Edited by RobMoore

Just to specify, when I pulled off the one handed shooting. I had stowed the mag, hand was fully in my pocket up to my wrist, mag was completely inside pocket. Instead of rushing to get both hands back on, I just popped off the rounds SHO. Mentally, I was not in a hurry so I had better sight picture.

I read the rules as: you can't shoot with the mag in your hand, but you can with the mag in the pocket. My mag was in pocket. My hand was co-located in my pocket along with my mag.

You're preaching to the choir with the last paragraph. I'm fond of the RWR when I've got space to move and have a gap in shooting anyway. Might as well reload. However, if your overall time on two shots on each side if a bianchi barricade are faster doing the 2-RWR-2 than 2-1-DR-1, then what needs work is reaquiring and shooting.

I can see in a well rehearsed drill on a range when you're warmed up the times for the RWR and DR being close enough for debate, but at a match, especially a major one, the more reliable play is the dry reload for that scenario, where there is little movement. Less things to go wrong.

Alfie, I'd go one step further. Your goal should be for your transitions to be same speed as your splits. I'm not there. With a lack of shooting and practicing I'm fading :( . If your transitions come at the same speed as your splits, then the math again favors the SL reload. But learning a RWR so well will never hurt you. The faster you can do them, the more places they make sense. i.e. if you are slow, you might need 4 steps to justify. If you are fast, barricade side transition may make sense.

I'd guess that watching and mimicing the professionals shoot stages can prevent you from learning bad habits that later will need to be broken, and may help you develop good ones. This would include when RWR make sense to do.

All IMHO.

Edited by kdmoore

I would still say that the emergency reload is faster and less likely to be fumbled in the scenario described. I never worked on RWR in the past. Only Emergency reloads and tac reloads. I did start training rwr's more but the tac reload is so ingrained that I still have to think about doing a rwr in cof's where that is an advantage over a tac reload.

Alfie, I'd go one step further. Your goal should be for your transitions to be same speed as your splits. I'm not there. With a lack of shooting and practicing I'm fading :( . If your transitions come at the same speed as your splits, then the math again favors the SL reload. But learning a RWR so well will never hurt you. The faster you can do them, the more places they make sense. i.e. if you are slow, you might need 4 steps to justify. If you are fast, barricade side transition may make sense.

I'd guess that watching and mimicing the professionals shoot stages can prevent you from learning bad habits that later will need to be broken, and may help you develop good ones. This would include when RWR make sense to do.

All IMHO.

hmmmm.......Yes, getting transistions to the same speed as splits is ideal but how practical is that in IDPA vs. USPSA? If your properly using cover you shouldn't see T2 while encaging T1 so in theory while transitioning you need to slightly move, see the new target, get a sight picture and engage the target. Where as in USPSA you can pretty much see all the targets in a shooting position while your engaging targets. I think we all know that even in IDPA you can sometimes see more then one target and still not earn a procedural. In any case your right getting transistions to be about the same as splits is a good goal. I'd be interested to see the timer on Squad 3 at the IDPA Nationals to see what the transistions and splits look like.

• 3 weeks later...

"I've done a tactical reload on the way down a wall (target out of sight), shot the last target with the magazine in my hand, hand in pocket

"

By definition you commenced a Tac Reload when you drew the mag from your belt while you had a mag in your gun. You didn't complete the Tac Reload ie releasing the mag in your gun and stowing it. I think you earned a procedral by not completing your tac reload. The fact the mag was in your hand (Hand in pocket) I don't believe constitutes a stored mag. It is in your hand and in play.

Thoughts?

Take Care

Bob

Edited by robertbank

I would consider the reload complete as long as mag was in his pocket. There is nothing that says you have to have your hand not on it or you have to go back to shooting freestyle with both hands. I they wanted to shoot SHO, then so be it.

The fact the mag was in your hand (Hand in pocket) I don't believe constitutes a stored mag. It is in your hand and in play.

Thoughts?

Bob

Tell me how you know that I have not released the mag if my hand and my mag are both in my pocket? I also don't understand why you can' run around shooting SHO with a mag in your hand...but thems the rules that I'll play by.

Tell me how you know that I have not released the mag if my hand and my mag are both in my pocket? I also don't understand why you can' run around shooting SHO with a mag in your hand...but thems the rules that I'll play by.

Well in the original post he claimed it was. IF he fired the shot as his hand met the pocket then he gets the procedural, if he is running around with his hand in his pocket shooting one handed no procedural. The rule book says stowed. In this case however the SO called it is good for me.

Take Care

Bob

Hand was fully in the pocket, to the wrist before shooting resumed. I wasn't trying to game it by touching the mag to my pocket, it was fully seated.

Steel and I just got back from the OH IDPA state match. There was a stage (the bridge) that I saw an advantage for a RWR. If my magazine wouldn't have puked the last round I would have shown that a RWR was CLEARLY faster than running draw and doing an ER. Same scenario, it was while traversing behind a wall. It was only about 3 steps, but that was all I needed.

Actually, I think I did 3 RWR or Tac Reloads during the match. I always look for an opportunity to pull those out of my bag. I think RWR are kind of fun and they are the coolest to practice because I don't have to pick mags up off the floor, and they are quieter too (no mag drops).