Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Took A Factory Tour Thru Smith And Wesson Today

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but today I took a tour of the Smith and Wesson factory. What a great experience. I was impressed with how huge the plant is. I was told it was 320,000 square feet. Quite a big place. My favorite part of the tour was the Performance Center. The master gunsmith loved his job as you could tell and was VERY imformative as he discussed the different operations of the Performance Center. The other great part was the forging plant. They were currently in the process of forging the SW1911 frames. It was cool as the worker took a glowing orange SW1911 frame and explained the process.

I was quite amazed at how "hands-on" the process was. They do have a ton of heavy machinery but all the guns are hand assembled. It was really cool to be walking around the plant and seeing hundreds of pistol and revolver frames in huge bins. I was told they produce about 500 revolvers and 300 semi-autos each week. If you're ever in the Boston area I would def. recommend visiting this facility. I even got to hold the new model 500 S&W Magnum .50 cal. revolver. The one I was holding was a Performance Center special with red dot site and all the goodies. In the plant they were also assembling these firearms which was really cool.

Pete :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm telling you if you ever get a chance to take the tour then do it. I'm actually trying to schedule another tour there with a bunch of my shooting buddies. I can't wait to go back.

What a great experience!!!!