Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Passed my physical fitness test

RangerTrace

Two or three years ago, DPS started a mandatory physical fitness test for commisioned officers. You have to have a current, passing PT test in your file to take a promotional test or get any kind of raise. It was met with lots of resistance from the older employees who are near the end of their career and haven't worked out since the Academy. But, for the most part, we have a young Department and everyone knows cops should workout anyway.

There are two tests. The primary test consists of:

1.5 mile run in under 16 minutes

300 meter run in under 65 seconds

35 sets up in under 60 seconds

25 push ups, no time limit

19 inch vertical leap

165 pound (or 65% of your body weight) bench press

and a short obstacle course in less than 21 seconds.

The other test is a job scenario simmulation. You don't get to take it unless you've failed the above test a couple of times or you have a letter from your doctor. It basically has 3 parts where they time you pushing cars, dragging dummies, running over fences, etc. Its not a "cake walk" but it doesn't pound your joints like the 1.5 mile run and the 300 meter run.

It doesn't take much of an athlete to pass any of that. But some of the females and really out of shape employees have been challenged. I've always worked out, (weights and cardio) so it was no big deal to me.

However, last July I tore my ACL and joint cartilage in my left knee after a bad landing, while wake boarding. I had my ACL reconstructed and micro fracture surgery in September and can no longer "run" for my cardio exercise. I've been limited to the elleptical and the bike for cardio and subsequently took the job scenario test in Austin. I was worried about how the knee would hold up to the amount of running required in the test, but it all went well.

This will definately give me more confidence to move a little faster on the USPSA stages that require movement.

Good job Trace! Now between knowing you can push the knee harder and the new Tripp Limited gun, you'll be hell on wheels!! :) Now if you can get the rest of the Texas Rangers to come out and shoot with us, we'll all be better off for it.

( Oh, and I'll be back to Open next month..........) :D :D

Good job!! I'm glad for you. GO get that GM card!!

Its probably a pipe dream, but my goal is to make Master in Limited by the end of 2010. I have a LONG, LONG way to go. But I have a great time learning from the more experienced guys. The byproduct of all the practice is it makes me look like a bada** when we qualify at work!!

Harmon and Bart are two of my "cop" heroes!!

Good job on passing the PT test Trace :cheers: (An appropriate emoti symbol after all physical activities).

As for making Master, I think you can make that goal too.

Whats this about Harmon though? Mike and I have known him a while, check with us for the real story :lol: