Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who of you has stuck with your Para?

mshotwell

I have a P-16 that once I figured the extraction problems out is a fine gun. The mags arent as good as STI, but not bad. The gun DID NOT hold me back in any way. I just like the STI a little better. It's still my backup gun at matches. They do need new fire control parts tho !

The Para mags, because of their shape, aren't as slick to reload as STI/SVI mags. But they don't require all the tuning, shims, etc to work right either. I wish they made 140 and 170mm tubes so you don't have to get the capacity via base pads but otherwise, they are less problems. Maybe I have been lucky but I don't have anywhere near the gags and feed issues that several of my friends have with their STI/SVI guns but I don't shoot 40 cal either. They all have to load special length for their guns and mine don't care what length it is. Mine are also 9mm and 45. And it can't be the gunsmith because it's the same guy for us all.

If I was starting from scratch all over, I may go the modular route just because there are more accessories specific to the breed for customizing. But would it make me a better shooter or move up in classification? I doubt it. If it did, it would just be because of the "I now have this hotdog custom pistol so it will make me a better shooter" mindset that comes out when we get new toys. And no doubt if I went back to shooting something else, I would have improved there also.

I recently got a SIG X5 All Around for Production. I hadn't shot Production or my old SIG 226 in about 4 years. First match right out of the box with no shots fired to even test fire, I finished 4th overall, beating several Open shooters with higher classifications. Whoa, I thought I have the new wonder gun!!!! Not really, I just got a mental boost from the new toy and my performance responded. I don't really care if it's the gun or me, as long as the results are good.

Shooting is very much mental and if you think you have the latest and greatest, you will be more eager to shoot more and try harder. So if you want to try something new, have at it. We all love new stuff and we are helping the shooting sports at the same time. It's all about having fun.

Craig

I still have and shoot my old P-14.

I have been shooting it for 12 years and it still runs great. I shot it alot in the first 3-4 of those years. I still have most of the original mag springs in use too!

I will get a .40 in the near future but I do not know yet if it will be a para or S_I. Time (and money) will tell. But I know for a fact that I am getting the itch.

I have three Paras. 2 Limited and one Open.

I shoot the Limited guns regularly. One is a Para LTD that I had a trigger job on and added a wag well to, the other is built by EGW. Had to replace my barrel last year. THAT nearly caused me to melt the gun down until I got the ramp recut correctly. I personally like how the Para feels. Reloads could be maybe a bit better, but more likely, that is my problem, not the gun. Para does have higher capacity than S_I by one round.

Jim

I'm still shooting the p14 ltd that I started out with. I have 10 mags 1/2 of which are still in the original packages.( Just haven't need them) The only part I have changed on the gun besides springs is the front sight.

I just like the way it feels and shoots. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I shot my Para throughout the mid-90's until recently when the barrel standing lugs sheared off. It's off for a replacement barrel. I have both S_I platforms and I'm just not as sentimental about them. When my Para gets back, it's #1 AGAIN. 120K rounds and the frame is fine. There's just something about a metal frame that's been blended and worn to fit your hands....

-MB