Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got the shot timer out tonight...

Revopop

I finally got out the shot timer tonight and did some timed dry fire stuff. In observing the revolver shooters who are much better than me over the last couple of matches I've been to, I'm noticing the biggest thing that they do a helluva lot faster than me is the draw and the reload. I decided that this should be the first thing I work on. I doubt I'll get anywhere as a revolver shooter if I don't figure out how to nail reloads.

The best time I could consistently achieve for a reload was 2.7 seconds. The best time I could consistently achieve for a draw and fire was 1.6 seconds. I have no standard of comparison. Any of you Ms and GMs know how fast you are?

My Match draws are 1.3, and match reloads are right around 2. ( with an eight shot )

Best ever at a match ....draw .9, and reload, 1.6.....

Practise ....draws.....1.3.....reloads.....1.8-2.0.....

One thing that practise teaches me, is the faster I " TRY" the slower I go.....

The trick for me is to relax......

Mark :wacko:

Last I checked. (been a while though)

On a 10 yd and in paper target.

Draws at a Match around 1.00. sometimes better sometimes not so better. :wacko:

Reload at a match............Can't say as I never get to check and they are usually done on the move anyway.

reload at practice.: somewhere around 2.00 average of 10 (same as the last 3 years)

BEST single reload: 1.63 (646)

Best single reload : 1.65 (610)

Best single reload : 1.68 (25-2)

I'm pretty sure I have had a few better, but can't say for sure as they were in matches.

the best thing is get a good average around 2 seconds and you will run with 90% of the "big dogs" in USPSA

Hope that helps. :cheers:

Hop

A sub 2 second reload and hitting an A in practice is very good.

A sub 2 second reload and hiiting an A in a match is where the practice pays off.

My best recorded practice reload is 1.6sec, 8 shot super. Never bothered with a match split. If the match reload does not go well it is because I'm pushing too hard. As Mark hints at Smooth is Fast. I think when you push to hard to be fast you start to loose dexterity and the split time suffers.

At 10 yards any draw around 1.25 sec and hitting an A is good. On the other hand on Smoke & Hope any sub 1sec hit is excellent however once again the key is to be smooth smooth smooth.

Pk

Shot a little yesterday just for you.

target:

10 inch steel plate at 10 yds.

1 shot draw: Fastest with a solid hit = .79

Fastest with a edge hit = .68

2 shot draw: .83 draw and .17 split for a 2 shot total of 1 second !!!! (I kinda liked that) ;)

average of 10: 1 shot draws = .92

Reloads (I found I NEED to do some work here) :angry2:

Fastest for the day: 1.83

Average of 10: 2.12 (man I used to have that average down to 1.80 :angry2::angry2::angry2: )

Best part of the day????

Finally getting a little rain !!!!! :wub: (of course while I was setting up a stage for the weekend match)

This amazing lack of ability from just another dummy that shoots.

Hop

Edit to make something a little more understandable ???

Edited by hopalong

Shot a little yesterday just for you.

target:

10 inch steel plate at 10 yds.

1 shot draw: Fastest with a solid hit = .79

Fastest with a edge hit = .68

2 shot draw: .83 draw and .17 split for a 2 shot total of 1 second !!!! (I kinda liked that) ;)

average of 10: 1 shot draws = .92

Reloads (I found I NEED to do some work here) :angry2:

Fastest for the day: 1.83

Average of 10: 2.12 (man I used to have that average down to 1.80 :angry2::angry2::angry2: )

Best part of the day????

Finally getting a little rain !!!!! :wub: (of course while I was setting up a stage for the weekend match)

This amazing lack of ability from just another dummy that shoots.

Hop

Edit to make something a little more understandable ???

Well, well, well....perhaps you should be going to Bali...... :surprise:

First, forget the timer til you can do solid reolads on demand, cold with your buddies watching. Same for your draw.

If you can do a 2.7 Reload and a 1.6 Draw at 10 yards (under above conditions) and get an "A" with each you would be a threat in any class from A down.

Remember reaction time has a lot to do with your times. And there are many exercises to work on that.

In IPSC there's so much going on that you can make up weak points thru a course. Concentrate on the fundamentals, being smooth and effecient. Then as you gain confidence you start working, and it is work, at getting faster/better.

The problem with doing a lot of dry fire practice with a timer is it's not always going to translate to real time and if you start pressing you will get sloppy. If you start pressing in practice, you'll never be in sync at a match.

If you can, try to buddy up with Mike and pick his brain. He shot 84% of JM at last years LPR Nats, and that was with a couple of really big boo-boo's. He's a good guy with a really big passion for IPSC Revolvers, I can't think of a better example to watch.

Dave

Specific answer to your Question:

Draws average 1.1

Reloads average 2.2

Usually do better in Matches than in Practice as my focus is sharper at a Match.

I'm an "A" who worked really hard and edged up into "M". Shot 75% of JM at '07 LPR Nationals.

Edited by pskys2