Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder charge changed on it own why?

Loaded a few thousand 180 molys at 4.3g TG 40cal then emptied powder measure.It was left empty for about a month.New bullets I want to try come in I fill powder measure and I had to back off powder bar bolt a 1/4 turn to get it back to meter 4.3g.

Stupid question maybe, but would the fact that I am now loading a hevier grain bullet at a longer OAL then I was make a diff with powder setting.

Do a search on powder bar and tempature and humidity. I have had same problem before and have found that temp and humidity does play a factor in powder charge. Could also be powder bridging on the bar....YMMV

DaG

Your powder bar didnt change adjustment, your powder gained weight, probably from absorbing moisture.

Does that mean FPS wont be the same as it was with a givin charge?

Your powder bar didnt change adjustment, your powder gained weight, probably from absorbing moisture.

Does that mean FPS wont be the same as it was with a givin charge?

That is a definite maybe. And is why reloaders own chronographs.

What a waste.If the powder absorbed moisture then the running to the range to chrono and ajusting powder bar and wasteing bullets for tests will all have to be done again with a new pound of powder thats not been compromised,so where did I go wrong.

I left it in the hopper for a few weeks where temps in the garage changed from 60 to 80 degrees before I dumped it back into the container.Is that it.

Or dumping it back in its original bottle and leaving it in the garage?Can it be that?

How about a second pound of unopened powder thats been in a cabinate in the garage.Is that ruined also?what do you pundits think.Thanks.

What a waste.If the powder absorbed moisture then the running to the range to chrono and ajusting powder bar and wasteing bullets for tests will all have to be done again with a new pound of powder thats not been compromised,so where did I go wrong.

Below...

I left it in the hopper for a few weeks where temps in the garage changed from 60 to 80 degrees before I dumped it back into the container.Is that it?

Yes. Ideally, when you're finished a reloading session, pour all unused powder back into it's original, air tight, container.

How about a second pound of unopened powder thats been in a cabinate in the garage.Is that ruined also?

No. It's fine.

be