Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Double Feeds

Jack Suber

I searched the forums for this but had no returns, so I thought I would post.

What causes a pistol (an open gun in this case) to double feed rounds - ie. trying to feed 2 rounds in the chamber at once? Mine did this twice today and it never has done it before. Happened with both a big stick and a 140mm mag. Its an STI 38 Super, with an Aftec, standard GR. Springs in mags have about 1000 rounds through them (Grams follower/springs). This cost me the classifier and a big field course today. Any ideas would be appreciated.

99% of the time double feeds are shooter error.

OK. I am new to Open. What am I doing wrong? BTW I was shooting new nickle brass (never fired) with 124 MG CMJs, 9.0 grns 4756 at 1.235" OAL. PLease enlighten me. Thanks.

I've had a few of these... In all cases the feed lips are spread out. If you carefully measure the mags that fail and compare them with mags that work you should see a difference. If you do a search you should be able to find the correct dimensions on this forum.

Mags are probably screwed up, top round is jumping out of the mag and the slide is stripping the second round normally. That is the most common cause I have seen.

I believe you are right. I am playing with the mags right now...with bullets in the mag, I can flip the round upo vertically. When I do this, the round underneath shoots forward. That has to be it - the mag lips have opened up. I have never had this happen with a Limited gun. Is it fairly common with an Open gun?

i had the exact same problem with some of my open mags. i came to the same conclusion you did b/c the only mags that would do it were the ones that i could flip up the top round vertically.

Jake...

i dont get double feeds anymore and i want to make sure i dont do anything to cause them. so i was wondering how shooter error could cause this?

appreciate any info!

It isn't all that common with an open gun or a limited gun either, but you will find some magazines that right out of the package have feed lips that aren't even close to what they should be. Each time you fire the gun the top round pops up and taps the lips, if the lips aren't right that tap can move the metal at a pretty good rate and cause problems. A mag that worked can become completely unreliable in just a couple loadings. If the tap is spread over the entire feed lip on both sides the mags hold up quite well and they won't move very fast at all. Magazines will always be a maintenance item but properly set up from the start they will run a long time before they need adjusted.

It isn't all that common with an open gun or a limited gun either, but you will find some magazines that right out of the package have feed lips that aren't even close to what they should be. Each time you fire the gun the top round pops up and taps the lips, if the lips aren't right that tap can move the metal at a pretty good rate and cause problems. A mag that worked can become completely unreliable in just a couple loadings. If the tap is spread over the entire feed lip on both sides the mags hold up quite well and they won't move very fast at all. Magazines will always be a maintenance item but properly set up from the start they will run a long time before they need adjusted.

Thanks for the help. The feedlips on both of the mags that gave me problems Saturday allowed me to flip the rounds up vertically. I also noticed that they were buldged a little in the middle which would explain why they dragged a little dropping free. I tweaked them and they are now running fine. BTW, these are tubes that I bought from Brownells and put together myself....my son got the tuned mags we (I) bought <_< . Again, thanks for the help and feedback.

Edited by Jack Suber