Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement Barrels For G22

azjeeper

I am looking to replace my stock G22 barrel with an aftermarket one that is ported. I have done some research on the subject, but wanted to get other opinions on what is best here. If you have replaced your stock barrel what did you replace it with and why did you select that particular barrel. I want to get into more competitive practical and would like to get the ported barrel. I am seriously looking at the EFK replacement however I would welcome any other suggestions based on expierience.

Thanks

Paul

Well I have a friend that is shooting ipsc right now in Houston and all the matches I have seen video from him on look really cool. The courses look different and challenging. So for now I would have to say that I would be interested in ipsc style matches.

Paul

Ported barrels are not legal for limited, lim-10 or production. I think you might want to reconsider the ports.

Since you are just starting out I would suggest that you shoot the gun as is for a while. You will see a lot of different gun setups at a IPSC match. Ask questions. Most people, when asked, will be more than happy to tell you about their blasters and why they are setup the way they are. As you gain experience, you will be able to make informed decisions.

Go to the USPSA web site and read everything, especially the rule book. ;)

Ported barrels are only legal in the Open division and it takes a lot more than ports to make an Open gun.

Ditto.

Stay with what you have. (the ported barrels in the glocks are nearly useless for what we do in IPSC)

If you are having trouble dealing with flip, grip, and recoil...post some questins here on that...the good folks here will get you squared away in short order.

OK it sounds like I was going in the wrong direction. I am currently reading over the ipsc rules and putting a ported barrel into my G22 not only eliminates me from ipsc competition but also idpa. That being said how do I establish the accuracy of my present barrel and the loads I am using. I know all about the postings on not loading for Glock, but done properly I have no concerns. I was out in the desert this past weekend with a course I made up and then shot repeatedly, but my accuracy seemed way off. My questions are, how do I establish the accuracy of my present G22? From a bench and rest I would assume? I should add that I bought the pistol used and am not sure how many rounds have been through the chamber. Next any comments on the loads I am using. I just shot (this past weekend):

Brass assorted

6.3 grains power pistol

155 rainer

WSP primers

1.125 COAL

I am basically loading to about 8-10% below the max listed on Alliant's web site. anybody else shooting with this combination? The loads do seem a little light and I may move up to about 5% off of the listed load on alliants web site.

Paul

You absoluty MUST have/use a chrono.

I would be scared to try and make major using 155's in a Glock.

Glocks are usually accurate. Glock triggers take some practice (dry fire, dry fire, dry fire) to get used to.

Did I mention you need to use a chrono when reloading?

I was out in the desert this past weekend with a course I made up and then shot repeatedly, but my accuracy seemed way off.

How would it affect your accuracy if you "tai-chi" the course? If you can put it all in the A when you "take your time" then you need to go back to basics and build the speed up from there. ;)

I really appreciate the help gents. I can get a chrono from a friend and check out the bullet speed. I am also going to go back and investigate the 180 grain bullet again. I have one final question on this topic and that is about pushing the gun just prior to the round going off. I noticed when I last shot that I am developing a nasty habit of compesating for the muzzle climb by pushing the gun downward ever so slightly. Is there a drill or something I can practice to address this or do I just continue to practice and concentrate on having the gun "surprise" me when it fires?

Paul

Again thanks for all the help.

Paul,

Just to save you some time and money....

180's are the standard.

- I use 180 JHP's from Zero

- Loaded with 4.3g of TiteGroup (one of the safer "fast" powders)

- OverAll Length of 1.135 (longer is safer)

- Winchester "once-fired" brass (I steer clear of "F C" brass and PMC)

- Federal primers

be careful...build up and test...you are the one responsible for your reloads (don't sue me...the above is just for guidance...etc.)

On the other shooting questions...ask them in a different "forum heading" to get more responses...read thru the tips and training drills sections...start with grip and stance...

oh...and....

You must get a chrono.

You must get a chrono.

You must get a chrono.

And, reloading manuals...read them cover to cover...lots of GREAT tips to be found in there. don't just treat them as recipe books. (especially with 40)

Duck,

N320 with 180's and short COL??? What charge weights are you talking about and what about pressure?

I'm interested,,,,everyone I shoot with has advised me to load 180's long to keep pressure down and you can't go much longer than 1.135 in a G22 (been there :( ).

Seriously,,,,,inquiring minds want to know......

H4444

Flexmoney, your load for titegroup powder and the 180 g bullet, is that out of a Glock barrel or an aftermarket. I had a chance to talk to a friend recently who is also thinking of switching to titegroup from VV. I am still shooting out of a Glock factroy barrel and just wanted to know if the load you placed on this thread was in a Glock barrel or not. I am going to get a pound of titegroup and try it out (work my way up). It is one of the faster powders out there, I have been using power pistol for that exact reason it is slower and also keeps the pressures down.

Paul