Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 super N105 load

jostein jensen

VV 2008 Reloading guide starts at 9.9gr 105 with 124gr Hornady FMJ-FP in .38 Super. OAL is 1.26.

With 130gr Sierra FMJ the loads are from 9.3 to 9.6, same OAL.

So around 9.5 should be pretty safe, even if they didn't use a JHP.

I have planned to test some for my Shorty during the comming week (mon-tuesday hopefully).

Went to the range, but had some problems with the chronograph. It only registered two-three rounds of each of the loads I had brought.

Anyway, for all the following was used. Fed. SR primers, 124gr Frontier, OAL 1.255.

10gr N105 gave me a velocity average of 1302fps. (3 rounds registered)

10.2gr gave me 1345 average but only two rounds registered

10.4gr gave me 1363, average of three rounds.

This from my shorty with two poppleholes, so your 5" should give slightly higher velocity.

Edited by Cardinal

• 3 months later...

For a 125gr (.356 dia), at 1.235" OAL, we're loading in the neighborhood of 10gr. N105 is such a slow and safe powder that you could basically load anything above 9gr that will fit in the case, and get a safe load out of it. So, no fear with this one :) 10gr will probably put you right near where you want to be, which for IPSC is 165-ish PF...

Couldn't get it to make power factor in my gun, but then I've got more than a few holes in my gun. I played with Mike Voigt's 5", non-ported, just a 3 port comp open gun and it was smooooooooooth.

Interesting powder and something I'll seriously consider in my steel gun or Cup gun.

Rich

You couldn't make major with it in your Viper, Rich??? Mine made it with plenty of room to spare... Like, my low test load at 9.5 w/ that lot was 170PF. My ladder got up to 178PF - no pressure signs at all... And this was a 5" Viper, so the first hole was slightly closer to the chamber than your 6"... ;)

Not where I liked it and it was 10+ grains. Of course I do like a little more umpf. My current N350 load is 174pf.

Rich

Yikes, my MC is giving me 174+pf with 115gr MG JHPs and 10.0gr of N105 at 1.235"....no popple holes or anything like that, just a straight 3-port comp. The same load in my Bedell shorty drops about 2 points (shorter barrel). R,

Yeah. My Viper (like Dave's) has 4 hybrid ports, 2 side ports and then a 3 port comp (his has a shorter comp).

I even made major w/ 115s w/ N105, but it required a longer OAL than I was really happy with. I didn't try loading w/ an RCBS seat/crimp die in the last position, though, to control the OAL stretch (its a highly compressed load).

But... its not my Viper anymore... :lol: Al Capizzo has that little baby, now... ;)

In my Brazos gun, N105 seems to be slightly superior to 4756. I haven't shot enough of it, yet, to understand why - flip seems about the same, and it seems a little harder in the hand. But... Driving the gun the same as I do w/ 4756, I end up with better hits. I'm looking forward to getting into it next year so I can diagnose on that a little more. I suspect, though, that the recoil profile is a tad smoother with N105, and the movement somewhat more predictable...

I would definitely have to say, too, that .38 Super N105 loads are about the safest damn thing on the planet to load! :) If you were new to reloading and needed a place to start, you could do a lot worse ;)

I would definitely have to say, too, that .38 Super N105 loads are about the safest damn thing on the planet to load! :) If you were new to reloading and needed a place to start, you could do a lot worse ;)

I agree, best 38 Super powder I have ever used. But, and a BIG but, finding a place where you can buy it is always a hassle.