Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Open Glock question

lsr1238

Hello, I'm a new member and this is my first post. I'm relatively new to USPSA and IDPA shooting and currently shooting production, limited, and SSP. But I've always wanted to shoot open. I've seen a few post about Glocks in open and I'm thinking of getting a new upper for my G35 so I can shoot my limited gun in open and limited.

I'm thinking of buying a LWD G35 slide ($200), LWD threaded barrel ($115), LWD comp ($60), Burris FastFire ($200), and other internals (extractor, firing pin, etc. $75).

Is it possible to have a ported barrel and compensator? I'm thinking of having LWD port a threaded barrel for.

Thanks.

In answer to your question, I do not know,

Here is a system by SJC that is very easy ,

If I did not already have a SJC Open GLock, this is the system I would use.

Same pistol in a few minutes could be Open or Limited in USPSA.

I am talking about SJC Convertable Compensator Mount

http://stores.sjcguns.com/Detail.bok?no=67

John and Steave are number One when it comes to customer service and a fine product.

www.GlockJockey.com

post-2928-1214736396.jpg

This is the SJC conversion thats been mentioned. A very simple and effective solution to play in open.

I'm having a lot of fun with it. Far to many options to list. Search for things like "open glock" or "open 40".

No one size fits all remedy. Porting an Open 40 barrel is a bad idea IMO. You need all the gas pressure to operate the comp.

SJCConv.jpg

Jim

Posted these on another thread.......my latest open Glock configuration. Rather than having 4-ports in barrel wtih comp, I had the barrel magna-ported to add 2 ports at 30 degree to help with recoil control. Nice, flat shooter. If only I could solve my light-strike problem........

post-12164-1214745086.jpg

post-12164-1214745094.jpg

I have a G35 open gun I put together years ago with a KKM barrel and comp with 2 port holes in the barrel. I run 135 bullets w/vvn350 @ 172 power factor. Shoots flat and has plenty of gas to work comp and barrel ports. The barrel ports are small though.

• 1 month later...

My G17C Open gun has four small popple-holes that vent through the existing slide cuts, in addition to the compensator.

The popple-holes bleed gas off before the gas gets to the compensator, which means that you'd theoretically need more gun-powder (thereby more gas) to operate the comp effectively. It is all a big balancing act between the amount of gas your ammo produces and how efficient your comp is at keeping the muzzle flat (or relatively so).

My vote is for a KKM drop-in barrel and a comp like SJC's or Jager's that focuses on venting the gases straight up to the the muzzle flat.

I tried the LWD comp (the larger .40 comp threaded for 9mm) with a LWD barrel. It was ok, but not flat enough for 9mm major IMHO.

I traded for my current Briley barrel and comp, but it bleeds too much gas from the popple holes and from the side vents on the comp. I think I could cut back on my gunpowder if the gases vented more straight-up out of the comp to keep the muzzle down. If I have to flatten recoil more, I'll cut the popple holes.

• 3 weeks later...