Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dominant Eye Or Not?

Adam76

Hello all,

This is my first posting as a new member and I am looking forward to sharing knowledge with you all! I have a particular question which I have been trying to resolve for quite some time now, and I was hoping to recieve help here.

My problem is this, I am right hand dominant and left eye dominant. I want to train my eyes to be able to shoot with both open but I am not sure which I should train with. I want to keep my right hand as the strong one since I am much more proficent with it than my left. I have been using the drill where you black out your weak eye and shoot with your dominant one until the point where you get so used to seeing the sights with the dominant one, you learn to ignore the weak eye image. My question is this, should I retrain my right eye to be the dominant one or should I keep my left eye, right hand combination for handguns. I should note that I always shoot long guns with my right hand and right eye with little problem. I am a relative neophite to training my eyes to both be open while shooting so I can go either way based on your advice. I am going to pursue a career in Federal law enforcement and I am not sure if shooting their qual courses will factor into this either, especially with the baricade shots. Please let me know what you think.

Very Respectfully,

Adam

Adam,

Please do a search. This has been discussed a ton. You can always close an eye for LE porposes, although it is not optimum for competition purposes. If you can switch your eye dominance that would be awesome, I've been trying to do it for 5 years and it hasn't changed a bit. I use a black paster on the lense of my left eye and it works the best of anything I've tried, some prefer the clear tape, and some say they can just tilt their head.

Loves 2shoot

Yes this have been discussed a ton, but without any consensus ! ...

Adam

Keep right hand; keep left eye; keep both eyes open; ignore ghosty weak eye vision; focus in the correct vision; don't put any cover tapes on weak lenses!!; just tilt the head a little, and focus on trigger control.

Don´t waste time with anything else ...

Ramos

Luis,

I believe there is no consensus because we all see differently. If I could do what you reccomend, I would in a heart beat. You may see a "ghost" but I see two sharp, clear, crisp front sights. It is too distracting not to block one out with something (ie tape) If I focus so hard I can see one sight, I see two targets. So I will stick to my recommendation to read the thread, try them all, and use the one that works for you.

My question is this, should I retrain my right eye to be the dominant one or should I keep my left eye, right hand combination for handguns. Adam

I tried to "cross train" dominance to the other eye (because I can se better with it) and finally gave up. It was impossible for me, not sure if it is for other people. I'd say use the dominant eye God gave you and don't fight the system. "Cross sighting" is really no problem. No law says the sight eye and strong hand have to be on the same side.

My wife is RH dom, LE dom. She is physically unable to close her dom eye while keeping the other eye open. She has tried all possibilities and found that HER best alternative is a frosted occluder lens over the dom left eye and shoot RH both eyes open. Works for her, but everyone is different.

To all who posted a reply,

I apologize for not searching before posting. After I became more familiar with the board, I realized there were most of the answers I was looking for. I appreciate you giving me some direction on this issue! Thanks for all your input.

Adam

• 4 weeks later...
I tried to "cross train" dominance to the other eye (because I can se better with it) and finally gave up.

I learned to shoot with both eyes open, weaver, using my left eye to focus on the sights. I just tilt my head enough that my nose blocks my right eye from the sights. At this point, it's very comfortable for me.

I'm RH/right eye dominant tho, so I'd probably be faster/better if I used my right eye to shoot pistols but I'm satisfied at this point and lack the iniative to retrain my whole technique.

I do use my right eye for rifle/sgn though, and I shoot a modified Weaver/ almost Isoceles now, so all is not lost...