Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer sticking in Hornady LNL AP slider

Anyone have a problem with the Hornady LNL AP primers sticking in the slider. It seems to always be the last two primers. If I load up the tube they all work fine until I get down to the last two or the last primer. I then have to take the slider apart to remove it. I have tried all kinds of adjustments. This isn't normal is it?

It is a brand new loader. I am using Federal Large Primers, The large primer tube with the recessed collar on the tube pointing down.

What's happening is the primer is sitting cock eye'd in the slider.

Thanks for any help.

Ranchdog

You need to put a rod of some sort (plastic, brass, etc) to keep a little weight on the primers. Also never run them dry. I refill the tube with several still there. I put a Dillon low primer buzzer on mine and cut the rod to beep with 5 primers left and haven't had a problem since.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9...rly_Warning_Kit

+1

I use a coat hanger that i have colored red at the top with 3 primers left in the tube. That is my low primer alarm system. I don't load fast enough to warrant an alarm. If you run the primer tube dry from not paying attention, the hanger will prevent the primer slide from going foward. You should be able to feel the no primer condition.

Butch

So is this a normal condition? Is it supposed to do this? Does not say anything in the manual about this condition. But thanks guys. I can cut something to slide in there. Although this might be a little dangerous if there was a accidental primer explosion. That rod is going to go flying up. Hope my face is not over it. :surprise:

So is this a normal condition? Is it supposed to do this? Does not say anything in the manual about this condition. But thanks guys. I can cut something to slide in there. Although this might be a little dangerous if there was a accidental primer explosion. That rod is going to go flying up. Hope my face is not over it. :surprise:

It doesn't matter if your press is red or blue, there are tricks to making all of them run better. As far as a primer explosion concerns, safety glasses are a real good idea.

Thanks everyone for the help. I am new to this forum. I loaded years ago (~25) with an old RCBS Rock Chunker. But I do like this new red press once I get all the kinks worked out. I do like it though. Loaded a few this morning. Going to be really nice for pistol rounds as all I loaded before was 270 and 30-06.

Thanks again, Ranchdog

Anyone have a problem with the Hornady LNL AP primers sticking in the slider. It seems to always be the last two primers. If I load up the tube they all work fine until I get down to the last two or the last primer. I then have to take the slider apart to remove it. I have tried all kinds of adjustments. This isn't normal is it?

It is a brand new loader. I am using Federal Large Primers, The large primer tube with the recessed collar on the tube pointing down.

What's happening is the primer is sitting cock eye'd in the slider.

Thanks for any help.

Ranchdog

I use a wooden dowel from the lumber yard as a follower. I marked the rod with a sharpie to indicate 0,25,50,75 & 100 primers. I have one for small primers & another larger one for the large primer tube. This solved all the primer feed problems.

I also use a wooden dowel as an indicator. It sucks when you get cranking along and run out of primers! Anyway, clean the primer tube with a pipe cleaner and break cleaner or hot soapy water. Mine also had a very, very tiny little burr on it from when it was machined. A good cleaning at it works just fine without the follower rod but I use it to not run dry.