Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA match video

Aristotle

Just wanted to share my IDPA video from today, but I'm all for critique.

I don't think I get into position efficiently, and know I need to work on that. I'm also trying to work on keeping the gun up and indexed. I also struggle with getting a good grip from concealment and costed me today. SS in CDP now, so naturally the goal is to get into Expert.

Edited by Aristotle

Don't drop the baby. ;)

If you're using cover properly, you don't need to dip back behind wall then lean back out on the reloads.

Don't crowd the walls/barriers and lower your body as you lean around for better balance.

Don't drop the baby. ;)

If you're using cover properly, you don't need to dip back behind wall then lean back out on the reloads.

Don't crowd the walls/barriers and lower your body as you lean around for better balance.

+1 Stay at least arms length from any walls or cover positions.

BK

Aristotle,

I hope this is helpful.

On the first stage, as you finished, you brought your gun down, looked at the target, brought your gun back up to fire the last shot. Keep the gun up as your are checking the targets. If you don't call the shot, and you have an extra round, just put another round on the paper. If you don't do that, at least keep the gun where it will do you some good if you need to make up a miss.

You need to learn what the gun feels like at slide lock. During on of the stages, it looked as if you expected the gun to be at slide lock, reached for you mag pouch, realized the gun still had one in the pipe, fired the shot, slide lock, reload, etc.

When reloaded the mag, give it one good slap and go on. At least once you hit the mag twice. That's just a wasted step.

Also, when you are shooting around cover, I've always found it helpful to have my right foot forward when shooting around the right side of a wall. At one point, you were off balance. I believe it was because your left foot was forward.

Don't unload your gun with your hand over the ejection port.

You're having a lot of gun malfunctions. Got to get that figured out.

Learn to call your shots so you're not throwing extra rounds downrange needlessly.

Good luck. You're looking good.

Chris

Aristotle,

I hope this is helpful.

On the first stage, as you finished, you brought your gun down, looked at the target, brought your gun back up to fire the last shot. Keep the gun up as your are checking the targets. If you don't call the shot, and you have an extra round, just put another round on the paper. If you don't do that, at least keep the gun where it will do you some good if you need to make up a miss.

You need to learn what the gun feels like at slide lock. During on of the stages, it looked as if you expected the gun to be at slide lock, reached for you mag pouch, realized the gun still had one in the pipe, fired the shot, slide lock, reload, etc.

When reloaded the mag, give it one good slap and go on. At least once you hit the mag twice. That's just a wasted step.

Also, when you are shooting around cover, I've always found it helpful to have my right foot forward when shooting around the right side of a wall. At one point, you were off balance. I believe it was because your left foot was forward.

Don't unload your gun with your hand over the ejection port.

You're having a lot of gun malfunctions. Got to get that figured out.

Learn to call your shots so you're not throwing extra rounds downrange needlessly.

Good luck. You're looking good.

Chris

Thanks Chris, great advise. You are rite, often times I'll drop the gun after I'm done and realize I had to make up the shot. I have to learn to keep my follow through.

As for the 3rd stage on the video, I was up first on that stage and prior to that stage, all of the stages required 3 to the target, so when I was counting my shots, I anticipated running dry at that target, I was wrong and it costed me more than a few seconds there.

Calling shots is something I'm still trying to work on, but your absolutely rite.

And yes, the gun issues are killing me. Working on that for sure.

Thanks again!

Hi Aristotle,

Looking at the results, my biggest comment would be that you dropped 52 points in a match that required 77 shots. Fifty two points down is way too many! Slow down, watch and trust your sights. It seems like you've cut down on the mechanical issues, which is good. You've made a lot of progress in the last year. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be there in no time!

mattk