Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas 3 Gun Match

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Benny, if you look at the "by division" results and the "combined" results, the percentages change between us in the different spreadsheets. You "took" my stage win (dropping me to 95%), and my "embrace the power of the drum" shotgun stage dropped you from 77% to 59% when the scores were factored together, and so on. My 71% craptacular run on the 300 yard stage remained the same against Dale Alcorn's rude spanking in Open, but your 94% against Ty's run dropped to 75% against Dale's smoking fast run (if 90 seconds can be considered "fast").

Nothing but technology...and I'd have done even better if I used a Saiga ;)

ALEX WAKAL Open 95.00 100.00 100.00 63.39 80.05 100.00 84.77 71.68 694.89 1

BENNY HILL Tact-Optic 100.00 59.59 70.69 100.00 95.74 65.90 69.67 75.41 637.00 3

ALEX WAKAL Open 100.00 100.00 100.00 89.02 80.05 100.00 84.77 71.68 725.51 1

BENNY HILL Tact-Optics 100.00 77.84 79.58 100.00 97.51 95.78 78.41 94.68 723.80 1

Hi Benny,

I'm going to have to agree with Alex. I wrote the scoring program and one feature of it's design was specifically to give a true overall result. It's been a personal pet peeve of mine that various 3 gun matches will declare someone the "Overall winner" based on combined division results. This can provide some really skewed results if the shooters in one division are very close in skill level & the division is small.

Best example would be a match with only 4 guys in Heavy Metal. One of them won every stage, but the other 3 guys were always in the high 80 or 90 points per stage. If Tactical Optics is competitive enough, & several shooters split the stage wins, you would have a HM shooter declared match winner & this 3 fellow HM shooters would all be pretty high up on the order of finish. A major 3 gun match a year or so ago had Taran Butler in 3rd Place & Daniel Horner in 6th overall, with a Tactical Iron shooter declared the overall winner. My calculator said that Taran was 1st, Daniel was second, & the Tact Irons guy was 7th overall.

The program used to score your match calculates each division separately, then recalculates the entire match with one shooter winning each stage (regardless of division) to give you combined overall results.

If the match gives awards and prizes based strictly on divisions (like Ft Benning with separate tables for each division), you get real results. If the match wants to award "order of finish" with a single prize table, you will also get real results.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

PS: Alex - It's not a spreadsheet. It is an Access application that automates the calculations.

Edited by LChico

Hi Benny,

I'm going to have to agree with Alex. I wrote the scoring program and one feature of it's design was specifically to give a true overall result. It's been a personal pet peeve of mine that various 3 gun matches will declare someone the "Overall winner" based on combined division results. This can provide some really skewed results if the shooters in one division are very close in skill level & the division is small.

Best example would be a match with only 4 guys in Heavy Metal. One of them won every stage, but the other 3 guys were always in the high 80 or 90 points per stage. If Tactical Optics is competitive enough, & several shooters split the stage wins, you would have a HM shooter declared match winner & this 3 fellow HM shooters would all be pretty high up on the order of finish. A major 3 gun match a year or so ago had Taran Butler in 3rd Place & Daniel Horner in 6th overall, with a Tactical Iron shooter declared the overall winner. My calculator said that Taran was 1st, Daniel was second, & the Tact Irons guy was 7th overall.

The program used to score your match calculates each division separately, then recalculates the entire match with one shooter winning each stage (regardless of division) to give you combined overall results.

If the match gives awards and prizes based strictly on divisions (like Ft Benning with separate tables for each division), you get real results. If the match wants to award "order of finish" with a single prize table, you will also get real results.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

This is good information as we plan to use the nice program for our Texas 3 Gun Championship next year. Thanks!!!