Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting groups

kz45

I was reading in Brian's book about how important shooting groups were.

So I'm going to practice this more often, my question is, is it better to put out a small target, a ipsc target with a small red dot in the center of the A zone, or a ipsc target that is clean and just shoot center mass of the head.

I was reading in Brian's book about how important shooting groups were.

So I'm going to practice this more often, my question is, is it better to put out a small target, a ipsc target with a small red dot in the center of the A zone, or a ipsc target that is clean and just shoot center mass of the head.

I think you should try all those things.. and see what produces the best groups. Personally, I shoot best on smaller targets.

A great way to start out a practice session: Take a target, no shoot side facing you and put either pasters or small squares of tape on it. Start off at 2 yards. Until you can put ALL of your shots into the paster you're not allowed to go faster or mover further from the target. This is a form of the Avery Dots and it WILL show you even minor grip and trigger press problems.

Take a clean target. Put a piece of tape on the little A in the A zone, or mark the A with a marker of some type.

Set that puppy out at about 20 yards and shoot 5 rounds, 15 yards if you can't keep them on the IPSC or Classic target.

Walk forward and tape the hits.

Walk back and shoot another 5.

Walk forward, score and tape.

Walk back and do it again. etc....

Likely what will happen is the first couple of groups will be a bit generous. After that, as you begin to notice your front sight and press the trigger straight to the rear, you might just find that the group starts to shrink. After a time, move the target to about 25 yards. After you can hold a decent group at 25, then got to work at 50.

Not exactly super accuracy but when you can keep groups to the size of your fist you are beginning to make headway.