Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR lower parts kit

chp5

I just got a Cav Arms stripper lower from the "CAV AID" sale.

I need to get a lower parts kit. My choices are DPMS, Stag and CMMG.

Does it make a difference or are all kits pretty much the same?

I've had good luck with Stag lowers . . .

Most name brand parts kits are compairable, and may in fact be the same parts.

The real difference in them will show up in the hammer and trigger.

As far as STANDARD TYPE drop in parts ....I have found the Rock River match trigger to be quite nice.

But you may opt for a CMC or JP as a specialty drop in module.

The CAV lower is a very cool reciever...and one can build a nice ultralight rifle from them.

I have used them with a carbon 15 upper to make a great backpack rifle...quite a few pounds lighter than any other option.

Jim

Cy,

They're pretty much the same...to me. Frankly, the last 2 rifles I've built, I used DPMS kits 'cause they have everything you need, they fit together nicely and the triggers, for stock parts, are pretty nice. I did some filing and polishing on a rifle that I use for teaching and have the trigger at a nice 3.5#. You'll hear folks say mil-spec this or some dumb testing level that. Frankly, it's like lower receivers. Pretty much they are non-stress parts. Run what works and then swap to personal preference. The only things that I added to the DPMS kits were a different grip, trigger, hammer and thumb safety. Trigger groups for me are easy. JP and then everyone else.

Rich

I have 6 lowers with DPMS parts kits. They went in easy and haven't given me any problems since, not to mention they are less expensive than the others. You could find them for less than $50. 2 of my lowers have the original hammer and trigger parts which work with 9mm uppers since the hammers don't have a notch. Like all products, you fill find a few people who had issues with this kit.

The guys are right. 90% of what you are going to throw money at in a lower build project is in the trigger assembly. The rest of the parts are all the same. My .02 is buy a Rock River Arms competition trigger assembly if you are short on cash or a JP if you can cough up a little more. If you are going with a collapsable stock, don't skimp there either.

Regards,

Ken

I'd stay away from DPMS. I have 3 DPMS guns, (1 factory and two assembled by a friend who's very familiar with AR's.) None have more than 3K rounds through them, and all 3 have fire control problems. As I get $$ all 3 will be replaced, with what I haven't decided yet.

I also have a JP and an old Eagle Arms, both of which have over 2K rounds each, and no problems.

Here's some more reading for you:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=...ght=lower+parts

Then again, I know people, good shooters, even 3-gun champs, that swear by DPMS and will argue all night and day that mil-spec is junk or meaningless; or that all parts really are the same. I really do not think that all parts are created equal. As with all things, do your research and you get what you pay for.

Edited by Big Shooter

All parts are not created equal. There are definitely some cheap parts floating around out there. I've had great luck with DPMS parts and weapons. The only malfunction I've seen with a DPMS rifle was an officer that never tested it with hollowpoint duty ammo. Turned out the rifle would chew up FMJ all day long but would not feed HP at all. Of course he had to find this out when someone was shooting at us. I still have a lot of DPMS parts/lowers/rifles. No problems at all on any of that stuff.