Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Damaged Sear?

JT Johnson

Hello,

After performing the thumb safety test I was able to hear an audible click when I slowly pulled back the hammer. I wanted to change the thumb safety out for wider one anyways so I went ahead and ordered an Ed Brown.

I took my 1911 apart and observed how the sear and thumb safety interacted. On closer examination of my sear I noticed that the part that makes contract with the thumb safety lug is quite worn.

sear1.JPG

Is this normal?

Will it affect the new thumb safety and cause the safety check to fail like my old thumb safety?

This is an old 70 series gold cup nat'l match sear. The little spring that fits in the sear is no longer there. Is this affecting how my old safety interacts with the sear?

I'm hoping this is nothing so I can whip out my needle file and Patrick Sweeney's gunsmithing book and get this thing fitted.

Thanks,

Josh Johnson

If you really like the trigger on that gun, more than likely its still usable. Take your time if fitting that new safety, file a little bit of metal at a time. The safety should have enough metal to interact safely with that sear.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies and sorry about not getting back sooner.

Took this gun to a smith in the Quad Cities, IL who works on 1911s. Reason my old safety wasn't working is that I removed a couple of parts that were attached to the sear. Probably not my smartest move, but oh well.

Seems the gold cup trigger was steel so it required an extra part and a spring in the stock sear to prevent trigger bounce back.

Decided to get a new sear and have my ed brown safety fitted. Had some other work done too.

Quite happy with the work and my blaster is now safe.

Thanks,

Josh