Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1100 Barrels On 1187

pcschwenke

I remember at Second Chance several years ago, Rob (the bagman, sold bags, glasses, etc) said that you could put the 1100 barrels on the 1187 without problem. Anyone ever try this? I've got a 28" barrel on my premier but, would like a 24" or shorter for pin/action shooting. I would like to keep my other barrel for shooting clays and the 1187 barrels seem to be much more expensive than the 1100. I know I would have to remove the steel spacer under the forearm. Anythoughts?

Paul Schwenke

Some will, some won't. It all depends on the manufacturing tolerances held on the day each was made. One problem I ran into was forearm fit. Some forearms are cut for the lightweight barrels on some 1100/11-87 models. You won't fit that puppy onto a gun with a standard barrel installed.

I put a 21" 11-87SP barrel on my 1100 and it has been working fine. The shorter 11-87 barrels don't have the pressure regulating system like the longer ones do so they are just like the old 1100 barrels. After seeing that I figured it might work on my 1100 reciever so I tried it. Everything fit fine and it worked good.

The only real difference I could find between the 11-87 and 1100 barrel was a deeper cut forward of the gas ports where the seal goes. I am not sure about the longer 11-87 barrels as I only have the shorter ones without the pressure compensating system.

I was considering this too. See related thread on 1100 parts.

I will test my 30" 11-87 barrel on the 1100 frame this sat.

Might do a vica verca too. Will report back on Sat PM, I dont really expect any issues either.

Richard

Ok, I just tried the 11-87 barrel on the 1100 frame, over 175 shells no failures at all.

I did use the 1187 forend too due to the different shaped gas chamber.

I was going to try the 1100 barrel but ran out of time.

However I was also advised that the extractor in the 1187 is thicker than the 1100 (in some models)

Therefore I would use the 1100 bolt (maybe even action assembly) in the 1187 as well as the 1100 barrel, then you should be fine.

Maybe even use the 1100 forend.

Of course that presupposes you have these parts. If not just check the extractor clearance, to make sure you dont end up smashing it against the chamber wall.

Let us know how you get on. If you are too scared, let me know, ill do it next time Im at the range. (Fools rush in...)

Rich

It is a 30" 2-3/4 and 3" chamber, with standard 1187 gas parts.

Seems to work fine. Funny thing is the 30" mod choke patterns tighter than the 1100 full choke... go figure!?

Rich