Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions on the Night Guard series

DocAlamo

Hey guys,

I know this is not necessarily a competition question, but I thought I would poll the group to see their thoughts on S&W's new Night Guard series of revolvers. I started to post this on the S&W forum, but decided not to because I did not want to wade through all the "anti-lock" rhetoric. I am interested in these revolvers for concealed carry. I am most intrigued with the Model 315, which is a .38 SPL +P K-Frame, or the Model 396, which is a .44 SPL L-Frame 5 shot.

So, what is the collective wisdom of these new revolvers. I know no one has shot one yet, but your early impressions and thoughts are most appreciated.

By the way, Shooting Times has them on the cover of their latest edition and did a very good write-up of them inside.

Dr. Bill

I checked the websight and I see they are basically smiths scadmium framed short barreled revolvers with a tritium front and fixed rear. Mechanically they should be the same as all the previous models which allways get great reviews. I wouldnt carry the 38 or 357 but thats me. Take a look at snubnosed balistics with 38's and even 357's and compare it to a 3.5 inch barreled 9mm. With the exception of being able to cycle ratshot I just dont really see the point in handicapping your self with a revolver. A Glock 26, Taurus PT111, and subcompact versions of an XD, P99, Beretta 9000S, M&P, etc etc etc will give you double the capacity and the same balistics in the same or smaller lighter package.

But all that being said I sometimes find myself carrying a 646 (Lframe 3.75" 6 shot 40) or for that matter a 1858 Remington.

I certainly like the idea of them, I'm just a little iffy about their "Scandiumness". I did have a scandium 1911 and had no problems with it, but that was just the frame. The scandium N frames are not as light as you would think, especially with a steel cylinder, so I don't think they'd be a bear to shoot or anything, I'm just concerned about durability. I shoot all my guns a lot. That's what they're for! I just don't think that Scandium would hold up to 200+ rounds a week. If they'd make a 2 1/2" 625 with a matte finish and C&S tritium fixed sights, I'd be first in line to buy one.

Edited by Glockopop

I'm no stranger to heavy recoil, but I found both the scandium 329 .44 Mag and the 340 .357 to be incredibly awful torture devices. They're both gone, and from here on I'll pass on the scandium guns.

Had a 2" 327 scandium 8 shot N frame. Nice and lite to carry, 38's were easy to shot, 357 mag felt like some one was hitting my hand with a small sledge hammer. It is no longer in my collection. I have heard from people that owned the 44 mag version and all said it was 10x worse than the 500 magnum. They all sold thiers after one or two shots.

These guns are made to be carried a lot and shot a little.

I have shot 329's and 360's. For their prupose I have no problem with them.

I am not going to shoot them a lot.

The scandium guns were not designed to be shot a lot.

I'm no stranger to heavy recoil, but I found both the scandium 329 .44 Mag and the 340 .357 to be incredibly awful torture devices. They're both gone, and from here on I'll pass on the scandium guns.

Mike,

That was my fear as well. I really like the concept, but fear it will fall short in execution. By the way, they just started showing up at Collectors Firearms in Houston. They are WAY overpriced. They want $960 for the 325NG. Good grief!!

Thanks for the input.

Dr. Bill

I have heard this same sales pitch from the S&W reps. I just can not understand why anyone would buy and CARRY a gun that is meant to be shot very little. Anyone that does not practice with the gun the carry is asking for trouble. They can keep them.

Edited by gpqueen

I have heard this same sales pitch from the S&W reps. I just can not understand why anyone would buy and CARRY a gun that is meant to be shot very little. Anyone that does not practice with the gun the carry is asking for trouble. They can keep them.

I think you are missing the point but it is not worth talking about.

Mike,

That was my fear as well. I really like the concept, but fear it will fall short in execution. By the way, they just started showing up at Collectors Firearms in Houston. They are WAY overpriced. They want $960 for the 325NG. Good grief!!

Thanks for the input.

Dr. Bill

Geez! For that kind of money you could just buy a 625 or 25 used, have the barrel cut back and install night sights and still come out ahead.

Any revolver that is to be carried concealed should have the hammer spur removed and I always grind the cylinder latch as well. Another huge comfort issue is grip design. I find that rubber tends to stick to my hand (with the proper high hold on the backstrap) and tears the skin. Some complain that wood gives you a pounding as well, but properly designed wood doesn't make the hand bleed. I can't think of any reason to own an alloy framed revolver. I routinely carry large frame revolvers concealed and the weight never bothered me. I did, however, notice a significant drop in felt weight once I started carrying the Mountain Gun. It seems that skinny barrel really does eliminate a lot of weight. So my recommendation for the weight-conscious would be any version of a Mountain Gun. You will have a steel frame for durability and you can find them without the lock or MIM parts, if that's important to you.

Dave Sinko

Tonight on the Smith & Wesson forum a gentleman was very disappointed with his 396 Night Guard. The first one he bought had multiple light strikes. He took it back, got it exchanged for another one, and the new revolver had the same issues. He is pretty upset ... as would I. If I was even remotely interested in these I would certainly wait a year for the customers to debug the new revolvers.

I am still stunned at the prices of these non-Performance Center revolvers. I had heard most are going for north of $800 ... good grief.

By the way everyone, I really love my 625JM. Mike, it is soon to be on its way to you for some magic.

Dr. Bill