Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My newBedell Open Gun :)

jostein jensen

I finally made it to the range today.

Spent the early morning ours slowly making a nice batch of .38 supercomp ammo consisting of new starline brass, federal SP, VV3N38 and MG 124gr JHP's.

I brought two loads with me. Both set to 1.22". The first one was 9.4gr 3N38, the other was 9.7.

The "weak" load was in the 1400fps region. Accurate crono data not available because our crono is crap, and I didn't know until today. Most of the time it showed error, but the shots it did record were all around 1400.

A little flattened primers, so I think the load might be a bit hot.

The gun just ran flat out.

I had to borrow mags from they guy who bought my SV IMM, but they we're just fine. All locked slide back with a round left in the chamber, but the followers weren't cut, so I'm not that surprised.

Shot over 100 rounds today without a single malfunction, so I'm happy.

I had expected to have to zero the sight from scratch, but oh no. Windage was spot on, just a slight elevation adjustment, probably because I don't shoot the same load as Dan did when he test fired it.

After zero'ing I got a 1,5" 7 shot ragged hole group from 25m's. Yes, from a rest, but the gun is clearly more capable than I am.

My training buddy brought with him some N105 loads as well. They we're 10.2gr behind a 115gr bullet.

Its unbelievable how soft these loads were. There was a huge difference from the 3N38.

My loads gave a predictable dot lift. Really fast straight up and down. Went a tad below aim point but about as fast as I noticed that, it had finished the whole cycle/recoil movement and it was we're it started from.

N105 gave the same track, the gun was just so much softer and calmer. I'm definitely going to experiment more with N105 during the summer, after I buy a new chrono.

What else is there to say really? IT WAS WORTH $5000 (price including export and import expenses) !!!!

I'll update here after the Norwegian Nationals next weekend. If it goes without a single malf there to, I'm going to have to start planning for a new Limited gun ;)

I'm a fellow satisfied Bedell owner. Did you get a 5" gun or a shorty? Steel or Ti comp? Out of my shorty 10.0gr of 3N38 and a MG 115gr JHP gives me 170pf and is quite soft and flat, but I'm sure it's not as soft as N105, which everyone is out of here. You may want to try 1.235 to 1.240". I think Dan recommends 1.250" but with some bullets, they will hang up on the ejector when you unload and show clear.

5", Ti comp.

Chuck told me that going longer would not work with JHP's.

That's a nice combo....I've shot one and thought it was extremely soft shooting.

I'm not sure why Chuck would tell you that. Dan told me to start off with either a Zero 125gr JHP or MG 124gr JHP, 8gr of either N350 or 3N37 and a Win SP primer at 1.250". 1.250" is a bit long in that it's really close on getting stuck between the extractor and the front of the ejection port when you unload, but 1.240" has worked fine for me with those bullets, the MG 121 IFP, MG 115 CMJ and 115gr JHP. R,

Congrats on your Bedell

Like others I'ld like to see more pics as well.

I also want one of his guns, but it problably wont be for some time.

btw, whats the reason your shooting buddy with N105 decided to use a minor load? (since min. for Major is 120gr bullets in IPSC)

just some cheap bullets he had available for practice?

yes it was cheap training ammo. he was all out of 124's and got a good deal.

sub-120gr bullets won't be scored minor if they are above 160PF. They are deemed to be unsafe and you're not allowed to use them in the match.

If 10.2gr N105 actually makes major or not we don't know for sure. 10.2 gr was his 124gr bullet load, but it made PF with good margin in his V8 ported gun.

I load to 1.235" with montana gold JHPs for my Bedell 5" open gun. If your looking to experiment some with loads, try Ramshot silhouette. Tracks straight and true, no pressure signs and is cheaper than any of the powders you've listed.

as expected, the gun worked flawless during the Nationals. Had to borrow mags though.

The bigstick I borrowed had a tendency to go nosediving when very few rounds left, so it puked on me twice during the match.

However, this is a mag, not gunrelated problem, so I'm still happy, as I got my set from Howard today :)

You used the 3N38 load for the match? Or N105?

I had planned to try 105 in the Bedell Shorty when I get it, but someone else had "stolen" the box of N105 Per had set aside for me so I had to get 3N38 and 350.

Received 2 140mm and a 170mm SPS mags for it today. I will probably get a couple of SVI mags at some point as well. A set from Howard is also what I want, but not sure when I'll able to afford them.

Damn, this hobby gets expensive fast! :D :D

Damn, this hobby gets expensive fast! :D :D

I some way you guys do the right thing when it comes to gun investments. Buy a good working gun early on in your shooting career, and save money (and fustration) later on. I've spent more $ on my used SPS than the cost of a Bedell, due to malfunctions and "face-lifts". It really bothers me that I didn't get a custom gun in the first place!

I used 3N38. Sander tried it as well, and he said don't change anything. I've got to shoot it some more with this load, double plugged, cos I'm probably blinking a bit.

With all due respects, I would at least try other stuff now in the beginning before settling with 3N38. You never know... (and we don't have that many options, why not try the few we have?)

Like Jostein, I also intend to do some testing but I'll use the 350 and 3n38 have now before buying more powder.

And i have to get used to a Open gun after having been shooting Standard and Production guns.