Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fittings A FP Stop

sgtis108

I'm 5 days out from the Miss. Classic and the final cleaning was yesterday. I found a crack in the FP stop. So I start fitting a new one last night.

I'm happy with everything thing except the thickness(front to back). The one with the crack is .126 thick and the new one started out .134.

I thinned it on a stone to .130

Two questions 1 do I need to get it to .126? 2, Is thier a better way?

Thanks

Is it still too thick to fit the slide?

It fits the in the slide. Extractor fit is good, and it looks good at the top and the bottom. It just dosen't let as much of the back of the FP stick through.

That is what I'm concerned about.

SGT

It should be fine. Best if it fits snug, and can't move around.

Of course you will want to test fire it. Make sure the firing pin moves freely, and don't load full mags right away.

Edited by wide45

You want at least .035" of firing pin sticking through the stop, .045" won't hurt a thing. Get too little and it lowers the force the firing pin hits the primer with, can cause light strikes.

Of course if you have an Aftec, you have to do the rounding thing too.

I do have an aftec. I just measured the old part and tried to get the new one to the same dimentions. The new stop is actually a better fit. I checked for fit every few strokes. I chamferd the inside hole just like the old one.

I'm actually very happy with the way it turned out. I just need to give it a test drive now.

Thanks for the help!

I am no `smith but the loose fit just might have caused the crack.

I also had a gun go bad on me before the South African Nationals - I did everything to it just to make it work. I made the rounds longer as well and that dropped my Factor to 169.9. Test well before the shoot.

Of course if you have an Aftec, you have to do the rounding thing too.

I do have an aftec. I just measured the old part and tried to get the new one to the same dimentions. The new stop is actually a better fit. I checked for fit every few strokes. I chamferd the inside hole just like the old one.

I'm actually very happy with the way it turned out. I just need to give it a test drive now.

Thanks for the help!

The aftec tuning is in the beveling/rounding on the side where the extractor sits-- The Aftec wants to be able to wiggle a little side to side