Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pact Professional XP Chronograph

I just bought a new Pact Professional XP Chronograph a week ago and I can't seem to get it to work. I have been to the range twice now with no success. The first trip was me I think, i was to close based on what I have read after the fact.

Today, I don't know what is going on.

I was shooting from 8-10ft. I actually got only 2 readings out of 35 rds fired. A couple of errors or nothing at all. Changed the new battery, made sure the sensors were plugged in correct.

Mostly clear skies and a north wind 3-5 mph (shooting towards the west, so a full value wind).

I was told this was one of the best chronos on the market, so far it is the biggest POS!!

Please help a brother out with some infomation in my time frustration.

Gerald

Here is a thread to look through. The short story is if you are having an error which goes something like "both screens trigger at once" forget trying to make it work. Here are the options I see, either return it to the place you bought it for a refund and buy something else (least painful imo) or exchange it till you get one that works. Call Pact and if they say they are 100% sure they have solved that problem, not maybe, not probably, not we're really working hard on it, then send it to them for warranty work. Or call Pact and use the 30 day money back guaranty if they still have it.

Here is a thread to look through. The short story is if you are having an error which goes something like "both screens trigger at once" forget trying to make it work. Here are the options I see, either return it to the place you bought it for a refund and buy something else (least painful imo) or exchange it till you get one that works. Call Pact and if they say they are 100% sure they have solved that problem, not maybe, not probably, not we're really working hard on it, then send it to them for warranty work. Or call Pact and use the 30 day money back guaranty if they still have it.

I am not getting that error message. My friend seems to think that the sun was some how effecting the reading. Last week I got better results than today but not what I was expecting.

Edited by srt205

I am not getting that error message. My friend seems to think that the sun was some how effecting the reading. Last week I got better results than today but not what I was expecting.

Sorry I can't help you more, my MKIV XP only worked one time so I don't have much actual experience using it. :goof:

:rolleyes: Is your system the standard model or the infra-red? My standard model has worked first time, every time and I have a very high opinion of this system. What time of day and what sun position are you having trouble?? I've done most of my cronying in the mid to late afternoon with the sun at my back. I've shot 9mm,40sw and 45acp accross it but I'm shooting from about 4to5 ft. from the muzzle to the first screen. Also I'm setting a target at about 30 yds. and at an appropriate height to be shooting accross the windows flatly and about 4 inches in height above the windows. Put a target dot on the target and line the skyscreens up on the target and go to town. You might try a different time of day, shoot a different direction in relation to the sun, make sure your timer is away from the muzzle, insure your allignment is good and the bullet is crossing both windows. If you can't get squared away call Pact. 1-800-PACT INC. They say they will get you squared away.

Good luck.

Bob

:rolleyes: Is your system the standard model or the infra-red? My standard model has worked first time, every time and I have a very high opinion of this system. What time of day and what sun position are you having trouble?? I've done most of my cronying in the mid to late afternoon with the sun at my back. I've shot 9mm,40sw and 45acp accross it but I'm shooting from about 4to5 ft. from the muzzle to the first screen. Also I'm setting a target at about 30 yds. and at an appropriate height to be shooting accross the windows flatly and about 4 inches in height above the windows. Put a target dot on the target and line the skyscreens up on the target and go to town. You might try a different time of day, shoot a different direction in relation to the sun, make sure your timer is away from the muzzle, insure your allignment is good and the bullet is crossing both windows. If you can't get squared away call Pact. 1-800-PACT INC. They say they will get you squared away.

Good luck.

Bob

I am shooting mid-afternoon. It is the standard model. The sun is above me for the most parts. The range burm is on the west side of the range.

Gerald

I've found that the sun really affects the sensors, in that they won't pick up the shadow.

What I do is cover the top and side (that the sun is no) with white paper - problem solved.

Got mine in 1993... works fine. I need to shade the unit when using in the sun (I just stand a USPSA target along the "sun" side), end of problem. Also got in the habit of covering the TOP of the sensors with scotch tape when not in use. (Keeps out dust, use a cotton swab w/windex to clean if necc.)

Edited by mike NM

Mine has worked pretty well. I mount it on a tripod to use it and the tripod allows me to tilt the screens. You could experiment with different tilts relative to the sun. I see you changed the battery, but my only weird readings have been battery related. Once it read exactly twice the true velocity and a battery changed cured the problem...

I bought mine used and the only customer service experience that I have had was to call them and ask for a manual, which they sent out. You could try and give them a call and see if they have suggestions.

I think you are having a sun problem. I have never had good results when the sun was allowed to shine directly on the sensors. Rig up some sort of shade. I put my skyscreens in a cardboard box, with translucent plastic over the top. Works extremely well.

...got in the habit of covering the TOP of the sensors with scotch tape when not in use.

Good trick, I will have to start doing that.

Edited by wide45

Also got in the habit of covering the TOP of the sensors with scotch tape when not in use. (Keeps out dust, use a cotton swab w/windex to clean if necc.)

As Wide45 says, it's a good trick :cheers: , but when mine is kept in a Doskosil DLX Takedown Case and that makes for easy transportation and storage.:devil:

Keeping it in a case saves you hunting for or forgetting a component, and makes for easy transportation. Protects the gear too.

HPIM1342.jpg

Edited by RePete

• 3 years later...

I too got a lot of errors with mine at first, but I had purchased the infered system as I do have a small Detroit Bullet Trap with a 12X12 opening and rated to all center fire handguns up to .44mag. Since using the infered I very rarely get any errors, I have not tried it outside with the infered but will now try it as I now have a small 120 power source.

For the IR to work correctly outdoors, you will need to build a chrono coffin.

Also you don't need 120v power, because you can do what I did, make a power adaptor using a 6v lantern battery, a couple of plugs from Radio Shack, a couple of alligator clips and some wire.