Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Mag Base Pads

wsimpso1

I am shooting IDPA with my PARA widebody in .40 S&W as an ESP (with suitable loads). The Para base pads don't look like they will last very well with frequent teardowns and all. I have a small mag funnel on the gun. Which aftermarket base pads are durable and are they long enough to work with a mag funnel that fits in "The Box"? I was looking at Arredondo's, but they do look a little thin, and being nylon, I don't expect to be able to glue a thicker pad too easily. Any Thoughts? Thanks in Advance.

Billski

I don't even know who made it, it came with some of the parts that I ended up building the gun with. It is aluminum alloy, attaches with a long mainspring housing pin and an allen screw.I am tempted to make one an equivalent one out of stainless, braze it on, and adjust its shape until I like it. Clearing the funnel is not a big deal. Getting mag pads that are sturdy and have a little length is.

Bill

You had better weigh your para before spending any more money on it. It's likely that it is already over weight for IDPA to start with and if you add a stainless magwell it will just get heavier. Weight limit for ESP is 43 oz with a magazine inserted. You can not go by Para's listed weights. What model is it?

Just check the width as in will the 1 5/8th deep box lid close. The Dawson standard Para well makes box in 2 dimensions but not the third. The Only setup that I have found that actually works is the full S&A funnel and MSH combined. That works well with factory pads which do hold up well and they are dirt cheap used. Most USPSA shooters switch to Dawson or other brand extended pads for increased capacity and to clear larger wells and they have a box of factory pads laying around. For a stronger pad of similar dimensions Brownell's carries a flat Aluminum pad. It isnt much thicker but any more and it would be too long to fit the box anyway.

The weight is OK. The grip frame lost some thickness, and I saved enough weight that I didn't even need to go to a plastic mainspring housing. My funnel is all pared down.

For right now, I just need to shoot it in ESP until my hand has recovered enough to go back to CDP. Then, if I decide to cut a funnel from stainless plate and braze it on, it will be pretty small. No, I am not worried over the braze line. It will get hard chrome and KG anyway.

I just ordered some Arrendondo nylon pads. We shall see how that goes.

Billlski

• 3 weeks later...

Back when I shot IDPA, I used my Para P18 9mm for ESP. I put on a S&A aluminum magwell. And it will work with the flat plastic factory Para basepads.

I had a Dawson FO front sight, factory adjustable rear, FLGR, and stock plastic grips. Internals were different but they didn't change weight. All this will fit the box

and make legal weight.

Bolens? I figured that I would learn something here... Could find no mention of them on Google. Who sells 'em?

I put the Arrendondo pads on my mags, and had to sand the top side down a bit to get them to lock in place. Otherwise they have been working fine. I also have some mags with the basic Para base pads. We shall see how long each type lasts...

Bill

Bolens? I figured that I would learn something here... Could find no mention of them on Google. Who sells 'em?

I put the Arrendondo pads on my mags, and had to sand the top side down a bit to get them to lock in place. Otherwise they have been working fine. I also have some mags with the basic Para base pads. We shall see how long each type lasts...

Bill

http://www.mcguns.com/