Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tornado alley

Joe4d

I am sitting here kinda stunned. I sat down to dinner with the blurb beep beep scrolling across the TV about thunderstorms and Tornado watch, Yeh yeh yeh I think not around here. Tell kids to turn off TV eat dinner clean up go over home work turn on tv again and the community not 10 minutes down the road is gone ! 25 mile long strip just gone. 200 casulties, so far no fatalities. I live in a modular house on flat land, my workshop is steel prefab on a slab. my neighbors are either manufacturered or modular houses. No basements. I wouldnt have any where to go if I wanted too. You cant evacuate everytime there is a watch or warning cause it seems like there is one everytime it rains hard. Just the reality of not much I could do except build a bunker.

I am sitting here kinda stunned. I sat down to dinner with the blurb beep beep scrolling across the TV about thunderstorms and Tornado watch, Yeh yeh yeh I think not around here. Tell kids to turn off TV eat dinner clean up go over home work turn on tv again and the community not 10 minutes down the road is gone ! 25 mile long strip just gone. 200 casulties, so far no fatalities. I live in a modular house on flat land, my workshop is steel prefab on a slab. my neighbors are either manufacturered or modular houses. No basements. I wouldnt have any where to go if I wanted too. You cant evacuate everytime there is a watch or warning cause it seems like there is one everytime it rains hard. Just the reality of not much I could do except build a bunker.

Build a storm cellar, if you can. Maybe you could even talk to some neighbors and all split the cost, if that's an issue.

Virginia isn't even near Tornado Alley ;)

Joe, I'm glad that you and your family are unscathed! Its amazing how powerful Mother Nature can be...

Out this way, you're half-likely to find your tornado bunker inhabited by a nice family of rattlesnakes or something when you actually go to use the darn thing (yes, that happened to my wife and her family once !!! ... the figured they'd fare better with the tornado than the rattlers...)

ETA... I drove through the middle of an F0 tornado once (totally not on purpose). Does that qualify me to be a storm chaser??? :D

Edited by XRe