Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Hammer Problem

DukeNuc

I recently bought a used SVI in .40 for limited and when it arrived I noticed a couple of issues. The first was that the grip safety did not work (which should be an easy fix) but the second is that the hammer has a very small (hairline) crack in the upper back part of the hammer. The crack extends from one side to the other and would be just under your thumb, if you were to pull the hammer back with your thumb. I have not fired it yet. How much of an issue is this? Should I send it to SVI and have them replace it?

The pistol is in great shape otherwise and looks excellent. I suppose it could have happened in shipping but I will never know.

Any suggestions? This is my first S_I.

Call the factory and discuss the hammer situation with Brandon or Pat. The SVI hammers are cut on a wire EDM machine and there is a small line where the hammer remains attached to the metal from which it cut during the EDM process. I recall this point being in the location you are describing as a "crack", so there is a chance that the line you are seeing is an artifact of the manufacturing process and not a crack.

The grip safety may be disabled. Very common for gunsmiths to do this modification. It eliminates the chance of not engaging it on the draw and you are able to get a lighter trigger pull on your trigger jobs. Not a problem unless you are planning to shoot IDPA.

Edited by baerburtchell

Sean,

So, it's a crack that goes acrossed the spur part of hammer, then? If so, it's probably OK. I've seen a few guns like that and they ran. Is the part an SV part, for sure? If so, then I'd hazard a guess that the crack is from the gun getting dropped or whacked pretty good.

If you want, load up 5 or 10 thousand rounds and I'll test it for ya. :surprise: As long as it's not ugly. I can't be seen with an ugly gun. :roflol:

Seriously, if you want to run it up to Powell, I'd take a look at it. I'll be around today/tonight, but likely out of town this weekend and into next week.

Oh...I'd ask the seller about it too.

Kyle

Thanks Kyle, I appreciate it. I do know how much you care (i.e. not at all) about the looks of a gun. :lol: I wont be able to make it up there because my day is packed. I sold my 67 442 on ebay and the guy is picking it up today.

The crack looks like it was from an impact to me because the grooves machined into the top of the hammer are not completely intact. You cannot see any gaps in the metal, but the crack does go from one side to the other. Based on the size of it, it looks to me like it should not affect anything. I just wanted to ask the opinion of more experienced shooters.

From what I can tell by comparison, it looks like the original SV part. Looks like the only thing that was changed is the pistol has an Aftec extractor.

I asked the seller and he said that if it was cracked, he was not aware. I never did get to see the outer box it was shipped in because the FFL that transferred it had opened it and tossed the outer packaging.

Thanks for the replies.

I've seen some busted up hammers that run for years. If it is in the spur and going side to side (not able to spread down), then you are probably fine to shoot it. Wear you glasses and give it a go.

It kinda sucks to have a nice (new to you) SV with that going on. Then again, I like to put a ding in anything new that I get so that I don't feel like babying it. :)

I recently bought a used SVI in .40 for limited and when it arrived I noticed a couple of issues. The first was that the grip safety did not work (which should be an easy fix) but the second is that the hammer has a very small (hairline) crack in the upper back part of the hammer. The crack extends from one side to the other and would be just under your thumb, if you were to pull the hammer back with your thumb. I have not fired it yet. How much of an issue is this? Should I send it to SVI and have them replace it?

The pistol is in great shape otherwise and looks excellent. I suppose it could have happened in shipping but I will never know.

Any suggestions? This is my first S_I.

Send it back. There is a lot of stress when the hammer hits frame/firing pin. Eventually it will break.

The grip safety may be disabled. Very common for gunsmiths to do this modification. It eliminates the chance of not engaging it on the draw and you are able to get a lighter trigger pull on your trigger jobs. Not a problem unless you are planning to shoot IDPA.

Its not a problem in Idpa either. The only safety required is the thumb safety.

That's not true according to the current rule book.

Appendix One- Equipment, Secton A. Firearms, 1. Non-IDPA-legal modifications for ALL divisions: E. Disconnection or disabling of any safety device on any gun.

If memory serves there was an exception for grip safeties in the past, but that is no longer the case. R,

That's not true according to the current rule book.

Appendix One- Equipment, Secton A. Firearms, 1. Non-IDPA-legal modifications for ALL divisions: E. Disconnection or disabling of any safety device on any gun.

If memory serves there was an exception for grip safeties in the past, but that is no longer the case. R,

Note to self.

another reason not to shoot it anymore.

Mine cracked. Twice. First time, I had it welded. Later, another crack formed and the weld flew off with a chunk of hammer. Gun still ran though. I just had the shop weld it again & build the area back up.

Since its a wear part & you are the second owner, I am not seeing how SV is responsible for replacing the part. Moreover, the EDM process leaves a razor sharp edge that is more prone to cracking than a rounded edge or a peened surface. Cracking is just part of the tradeoff for having an EDM'd part. New hammers are under $100; welding up the hammer costs even less and gives the part a unique, unusual look.

Regards,

C.