Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administratio...l/chlsindex.htm

Basically, you may have a concealed firearm in a vehicle that you own or are directly in control of. It must stay concealed. You must notify an officer that you have it in the event of a traffic stop. That assumes, of course, that you're legally allowed to possess said firearm, and are not involved in the commission of a crime ;)

Selected snips from

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?...LO_DOC_TEXT=YES

§ 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun[0], illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

§ 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.

Text of subsection as reenacted by Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch.

647, § 1

(B) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(2) is on the person's own premises or premises under

the person's control unless the person is an employee or agent of

the owner of the premises and the person's primary responsibility

is to act in the capacity of a security guard to protect persons or

property, in which event the person must comply with Subdivision

(5);

(3) is traveling;

(4) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other

sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is

conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's

residence, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;

(6) is carrying a concealed handgun[0] and a valid

license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to

carry a concealed handgun[0] of the same category as the handgun[0] the

person is carrying;

lemme clarify my intentions-i'm merely driving a rental car from a hotel to a match, and them to the airport. in CA, handguns have to be secured (i.e. locked case) or not easily accessed.

Do you get to come down to San Antonio for an event?

lemme clarify my intentions-i'm merely driving a rental car from a hotel to a match, and them to the airport. in CA, handguns have to be secured (i.e. locked case) or not easily accessed.

yep-will be at the alphamike match in may...i'll be the old guy walking around with the ACOG reticle tatoo on his calf...oh yea, and talking funny.

yep-will be at the alphamike match in may...i'll be the old guy walking around with the ACOG reticle tatoo on his calf...oh yea, and talking funny.

I might have to make that match, then :D

You're fine with doing what you describe. If you want to be certain you're cool, just toss the shooting bag in the trunk. But, you should be fine to have a loaded gun concealed within the passenger compartment - the definition of travelling is quite wide. However, be certain to inform the officer of it, should you be pulled over. Obviously, I'm not a lawyer, yadda yadda yadda... They just clarified that whole code section a while ago, though, with the intention of making this form of carry legal without a CHL...

Let me get this straight. You can carry locked and loaded in a vehicle in TX WITHOUT a permit? I've always said that as soon as I get sick and tired of all the rain in the PNW I'm headed to TX. :cheers:

Let me get this straight. You can carry locked and loaded in a vehicle in TX WITHOUT a permit?

Yes, as long as you follow the other particulars....

heck, dave-i kinda like that-maybe i'll just bring all my 3gun gear and drive around for a week. :roflol:

WEll

If you could get to town a week earlyer you could shoot the Texas Open

I was stopped in Texas on the freeway, for being in the left lane to long, I had a loaded 44 in the front seat that was visible, The officer asked me if I had a permit for it. I said I did not need one as it was visible from three sides. He did not press it and gave me a warning for being in the right lane to long. I had out of state tags, (Arizona) and it was many years ago. Might not swing anymore.. :rolleyes:

Speaking from a L.E. viewpoint.......Be VERY careful about openly displaying a firearm within your reach inside a M.V.

You might provoke a reaction you did not intend.

I am unfamiliar with Texas law concerning theft of firearms from your M.V. but in Mass. if your weapon is stolen from your motor vehicle YOU are guilty of a felony.

JK