Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 10rd. 9mm Magazine?

AppleMan

What magazine do you like for a 10 round 9mm (9x19) magazine? This of course is for a single stack gun. What brand/model have you found to work well? What have you had problems with?

I have used both the Wilson and Shooting Star 38 Super mags for my 9x23 pistol with great success but I don't think either of them make mags for 9mm Para so I would like to draw on what others have found.

Thanks for any input.

When I tried to use 38 Super mags in my 9mm it was a disaster. I wanted but couldn't find any 10 round 9mm mags. I ended up getting metalform 9rd. They work great.

Are you planning on using this as a minor limited 10 gun or an ESP gun?

Has anyone heard anything about the 9mm that was supposed to be being developed with that has the spacer in the front?

Good Luck

Has anyone tried using 38 super mags and just loading the 9x19 longer than stock? I was thinking about converting my single stack from .38 super to 9mm 'cause of the savings in brass. That would be the first thing I'd try, being I have many .38s magazines. This of course assumes you reload your own.

-- Bucky.

You can usually get a 10-shot Super mag to feed with 9mm rounds if you load them to Super OAL. However, you don't get 10 rounds of 9mm :blink:

The Super gets ten in because the rims stack into the extractor grooves. The 9mm can't do that, and you lose enough space by the ninth round that a tenth won't fit.

Yes, it sucks.

When will they make a 40 single stack mag with the same kind of spacer? No need to long-load, and have separate .40 stocks of ammo for different guns. Just asking.

It depends on the gun. I have a .38 super with a second 9mm barrel and it runs best with the .38 super mags. However I must say that so far it hasn't run 100% over the long haul with anything. I usually have at least one malfunction in 500 rounds. I haven't been able to figure out the cause as of yet. The gun just seems finicky about everything - magazines, recoil springs, lubrication, ammunition, etc.

Considering that this seems like a great competition combination, I couldn't understand why more shooters didn't use it. Now I know. 9mm 1911's are not easy to get running 100%. My guess is that it takes a dedicated setup tweaked specifically for that caliber.

I guess the above info leeds me to ask what are people shooting in ESP? 38 Super or 9x23 are expensive in the brass department and it seems like no one is making 10 shot 9mm mags. I don't have a second barrel in 9x19 for my 9x23 yet so I can't test my 38 super mags to see if they work for 9x19.

What are you guys going for ESP? Thanks!

Patrick, do you mean 40 mags with the spacer in front? If so I don't think they are in the works. The spacer in the back 40 mags work good with factory length loads but only hold 8 rounds. Like you said you can long load and get 9 40's in a 10mm mag. I know people who have gotten 10 round 45 mags to work with 40 but it took some experimenting with feed lips and oal to get it reliable. The rims on 40 brass seem to want to lock together on a single stack 40 as bad if not worse than the super.

Appleman

My ESP gun is a 9x19 Springfield. It works wonderfully with the 9 rd 9mm mags but awful with 38 supers. Nine round mags aren't that bad for IDPA, since max string length is 18 rds. With max load of 9+1 and 1 reload you get 19 rounds, so you have 1 to spare. Also with 9+1 you don't have to take a second sight picture on the same target after a reload like with the 10+1 SSP guns.

From the article on the 2002 Championships in the most recent Tactical Journal, Ken Hackathorn indicates that a majority of the ESP shooters were shooting 9x19 1911's. (FWIW)

FWIW: I did convert all eight of my 9 round 9mm Mecgars to hold ten rounds using a .38S aftermarket "extra capacity" follower and spring kit from Brownells. Major pain in the butt because I had to re-work all the followers to clear the rear rail in the shell. They do feed ten rounds but don't lock back on the last round every time because you have to give up a couple of coils of mag spring to get room for the tenth round.