Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Autopilot mag change…

badchad

So how do I train myself not to do a mag change when running from box to box? I plan and visualize the one I want but recently every match or two I tend to do an extra, unnecessary, and unvisualized one, and it’s sometimes not clean because as I’m dropping the mag I realize what’s going on and wish it back in, but it’s too late. I’m not sure how much time it costs me, but I’m pretty sure it’s significant. Any tips?

So how do I train myself not to do a mag change when running from box to box? I plan and visualize the one I want but recently every match or two I tend to do an extra, unnecessary, and unvisualized one, and it's sometimes not clean because as I'm dropping the mag I realize what's going on and wish it back in, but it's too late. I'm not sure how much time it costs me, but I'm pretty sure it's significant. Any tips?

I have this same problem not picking up "C" hits on virginia count stages...only thing is there is NO way to bring that back! The way I deal with this is while I am LAMR, I tell myself over and over..no extra shots..no extra shots..no extra shots. Sort of childish, but when I remember to do it, it usually works!

Adios,

TG

Did you recently change divisions?

I switched from L10 to Open. I spent a lot of time training my hands to reload when my feet move. Now that I'm in Open, I have to retrain that instinct.

I guess that since I've been worried about it, it has been in the forefront of my mind and I haven't done an unplanned mag change yet.

If you're in open division, try using your big-stick for as many stages as possible. That way you can tell yourself "no reloading". Once you break the habit, you can then start using your 140mm mags too.

I still catch myself occasionally going into production mode while shooting limited. I deal with it two ways. The more experience I get the less the division change is a factor. It becomes a lot easier to program what I am going to do during the COF. Second, if I have pulled the mag, I make the reload. once it's left the mag pouch, I feel to finish the reload is less disruptive. If I catch myself before the mag has left the pouch, I go back to my movements. I also carry extra mags in case I do an unplanned reload so I can get back on track if there any future reloads in the COF. It may sound complicated, but it's really not. It all really comes down to solidifying what to do in your mind and just letting it happen. If you are thinking about what you are doing, you are blocking your mind from 'just shooting'.

BadChad is a very good shooter and religiously practices! He is always in his 'zone' at matches. When going L to L-10 I visualize my reloads and bb counts usually works. My issue is I can't count my shots! Every time I have to shoot 3 or 5 or 6 I shoot 1 extra. ugggh, need to call my Math teacher???