Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dovetailing The Frontsite

mellow

Kevin,

This is just for Glocks because the front sight is secured with a screw going up into the blade. You can't go too thin because you will break into the threads and weaken the attachment point to the gun.

I am eagerly awaiting the CGR .100 front sights at Heinie height. Even better if the blade face was serrated and a red fiber optic insert were available.

Vincent, This past spring I had Dawson cut one of there front FO sights to .115" width as a special order. The said they would take their .125" sight down to I think .100" width. They wouldn't change the height of the sight though. I think they make three height sights: Bo-mar, Heinie, and Novak.

My sight is also serrated, but I use the green fiber.

• 9 months later...

Well over a year later and Matt doesn't have the thin black front sights. What are my options? I'm willing to file down to raise the POI. I want at least .015" thinner than the stock sight. .100" wide would probably be ideal.

I don't want to pay for a rear I'm not going to use. I don't want a fiber optic. If a FO is my only choice, it would have to be very low for use with the stock rear sight.

Erik,

Have you taken a look at the "race cut heinies." I don't know the front blade width is, but it seems thiner than other glock sights. If they were not to your liking, you could just file them down pretty easily.

And you would also have a one piece rear metal rear sight that might outlive your tender ministrations. :lol::lol:

Have you considered getting out the calipers and some fine sandpaper and thinning the front sight you have now? Measure the width and figure out how much you want to remove. Then sand 1/2 that much off of one side and the other half off of the other side. Apply even pressure and use a colored marker to track your progress on each side so you know you are sanding evenly. We are talking thousands of an inch off each side, I wouldn't think it would take too long even being carefull.

Erik,

with a Bo-mar front blade (which is rather tall) I had a smith mill the top half of the front down to .090. If I hold the sights level, I son't see the step. If the front's elevated, the step's there. That'd be another option --- and would allow the threads and supporting metal above to be normal thickness...

Of course you'd have to do it with some kind of fixed sights, just imagine how quickly you could break Bo-Mars that overhang the rear of the slide.... :lol::lol:

I have front sights for Glocks that are .100. The are the standard style with no ramp and can be serrated if you want. Or I can modify your depending on what you have now.

Contact me directly at Mtrclass@aol.com if you are interested or you can post here. However since I went back into the boat business I don't monitor the boards regularly so ...........

• 2 weeks later...