Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powders for lead bullets .40

dukhunt

Hi fellow shooters, Have been doing a search on powders for shooting lead bullets for a while now. It seems everybody has there own idea about what shoots good for them. I am going back to shooting lead for local matches and practice, outdoors, bacause of the rising cost. I have a good supply of 180 gr lead , and a supply of powders, VV320, solo 1000, wst, and TG. Would any of these powders be ok for loading, or is there a perferred choice. I shoot a para, with a kkm heavy barrel, normaly loaded to 1.170 with precision bullets. I will chrono all loads suggested and post the results here for all to see , so that it might help the next guy or gal. Any data will be greaty appreciated. Any special receipe's to solve the delima will be grealy helpful. I am going for the 170 PF . Thanks to all.

Timely discussion. I am just starting on working up my .40 LTC load. Based on the advice here, I bought N320 and am looking for a good OAL and charge for Major. I'm going to start at 1.175 and 4.0gr and work up from there.... I'm also curious to see what Lead loads are out there.

Seth

WST, WST and WST. Did I say WST? Half the price of 320, a little temp sensitive, but nothing you can not deal with.

I run 4.5 grains of WST over a 182 grain Cast Lead RN or TC.

My Kart barreled Para can run 1.240 OAL, but it seems to like 1.150 OAL. I never get that "chunk" with the shorter OAL.

I have tried alot of powders and IMO WST and 320 seem to smoke the least with cast bullets.

American Select shoot great, as does Ramshot Competition. I read some good stuff about Solo 1000, but do not have any personal experience with it.

Edited by Dave C

When shooting lead, a lot of the smoke you see is from the bullet - specifically the lube. Besides experimenting with powder, experiment with the bullets too. The bullets I use are conventional lube (I'm not bothered by the smoke), but you might try some lubed with dry lube (moly or danzac?) and see how you like them.

Edited by Tom S.