Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC and Steel Challenge Scale Targets

cautery

Is there any interest in a CD containing printer-ready files of ALL IPSC and Steel Challenge targets.... accurate ones?

I looked at the Glock FAQ version of the 1/3 scale metric, and it's not very accurate or realistic. So, I am just about finished making a file with the full scale metric target that is EXTREMELY accurate. I am experimenting with the proper line width, simulated perf pattern, lettering positioning, non-scoring border for cut-out, coloring, etc. I'm also looking into finding/getting a sheet stock of a good approximation of the brown paper.

I plan on making full-scale files for all targets, plates, poppers, steel, etc (including the IPSC Classic).

My idea is to produce a CD kit that contains:

1) A directory for each target containing various scale-target size template files that will accurately print out with minimal or no printer variations. (e.g. 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, 1:4, ..... 1:10, etc.)

2) Instructions including the math required to scale the 1:1 templates to any apparent distance based on any actual distance.

3) Starter pack of paper stock to print the templates out in a "near realistic" color/texture.

4) For steel challenge stages, each stage will have its own directory. Within each directory, will be scaling sub-directories. For example. Smoke-n-Hope directory would contain 1:1, 1:2, etc sub-directories. In each directory, there would be files for each plate properly scaled for the correct apparent distance.

Making the uber-accurate masters is VERY time consuming, but necessary to achieve a good result.

If there is sufficient interest, I will pursue the proper procedures with USPSA to make sure what is produced is properly credited/licensed, or whatever is necessary.

In fact, I think it's a good idea as well. I used Illustrator to draw up IPSC metric/classic and US popper/pepper shapes. I don't have all the effort in "proper line widths" and so on, but the files I have are precise according to the USPSA rule book. (When drawing such beasts, grids are your friends!)

I'd gladly share what I have already, and would gladly assist you in your project -- at least with drawing the targets, scaling etc. I have little or no interest in producing and selling packages of the things. But I would be happy to help get you going with the digital side (... for free, I might add ;) ).

-- John.