Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mac's Notes

MacCearain

Hey all -- I'm a relatively new shooter. Fired a pistol for the first time in late January of this year. I've been going to the range 2+ times a week to practice, very consistently. I definitely see myself improving and I'm having a good time shooting. I've been keeping targets from every session. I'm looking forward to the warmer weather and shooting outside more.... So I was at the range yesterday....

I was shooting 5 shot groups at 10 yards. I did this quite awhile.... I'd break it up with some other range or goofy thing about every 5th group and then return to 5 slow shots at 10 yards. During the session, I initially was "thinking" about a ton of mechanics. How's the stance? How's the grip? Is the front site in focus? Let the pressure build on the trigger... And then I started to relax... That's not to say that I stopped "doing" the basics, because that's not the case at all. I didn't have to devote as much conscious thought to them. I started to see some things that I hadn't noticed before. The moment of the shooting became more distinct. I saw the patterns of the smoke as the round exited. I saw the casing tumbling away. The more I relaxed, the more clearly I saw -- things-- , the more my groups tightened. :cheers: This was interesting for me, because typically by the end of extended slow filre sessions my wobble zone will increase. Yesterday my perceived wobble zone was shrinking as well.

I've read Brain's book. Most of it hasn't sunk in yet, so I'll read it multiple times. It's all in there (and I'm not claiming mastery of anything) -- but for me it was a positive step... an improvement over past sessions... If somebody said they could see the brass exit the gun, 3 months ago -- I would have said -- Yeah sure. Looking back on the session, I now know that the brass and smoke may not be the optimum thing to "see" on each shot, but I can't say that I was in total control of the seeing. That was just an interesting part of the snap-shots that were being taken. Getting the extra details surely didn't detract from the shooting, quite the opposite.

Paul

Dry firing last night, with a snap cap... When I was done, I ejected the snap cap... The brass spring loaded "primer" was totally destroyed and stuck WAY up inside the snap cap :surprise:

So then I had to strip and clean the gun to get the brass dust out of it... I'm not even sure I need the caps.

I was working on trigger control via DA pulls on a Berreta 92FS. During live fire the weapon puts a nicely centered circular dimple in the primers.... So I think the cap must have fouled...

Paul

IMO and that of most experienced shooters... snap caps are a solution to a non-existant problem. I have 1911s and other pistolS which have been dry fired 100s of thousands of timeS with no apparent effect.

Find someone at the range that reloads. Have them load you some bullets with no powder or primer in them.

Use them for reload practice. They will be much closer to the weight of real ammo.

BE CAREFUL MAKE VERY SURE THAT THE PRACTICE BULLETS ARE WELL MARKED AND THAT YOU NEVER HAVE LIVE AMMO EVEN IN THE ROOM WHEN YOU DRY FIRE.

IMO and that of most experienced shooters... snap caps are a solution to a non-existant problem. I have 1911s and other pistolS which have been dry fired 100s of thousands of timeS with no apparent effect.

Find someone at the range that reloads. Have them load you some bullets with no powder or primer in them.

Use them for reload practice. They will be much closer to the weight of real ammo.

BE CAREFUL MAKE VERY SURE THAT THE PRACTICE BULLETS ARE WELL MARKED AND THAT YOU NEVER HAVE LIVE AMMO EVEN IN THE ROOM WHEN YOU DRY FIRE.

But then if you are not real careful you can sometimes see if you are practicing junk.(You can see if your sight picture was as perfect as you thought it was by looking at the bullet hole) LOL

Went to the range this afternoon with my Dad. The weather was GREAT and the shooting was great as well. Shot my personal best 9mm groups at 15 and 20 yards today. Overall, I wasn't quite as consistent as the other day, but maybe it's just all the switching between guns and jaw'n... I was really happy with the session. I'm really thrilled with the accuracy improvements over last couple of months.

There is someihing about reactive targets that just make ya smile. My dad had a paper cup of coffee that he finished during the session. So, of course, it wound up on a stick.... We took turns punishing the cup. We tried to stick with the 22 so it could last as long as possible.

Michigan -- Thanks -- I just ordered my 550 from Brian -- So I'll make some empties and mark em...

Paul

Went to the range this afternoon with my Dad. The weather was GREAT and the shooting was great as well. Shot my personal best 9mm groups at 15 and 20 yards today. Overall, I wasn't quite as consistent as the other day, but maybe it's just all the switching between guns and jaw'n... I was really happy with the session. I'm really thrilled with the accuracy improvements over last couple of months.

There is someihing about reactive targets that just make ya smile. My dad had a paper cup of coffee that he finished during the session. So, of course, it wound up on a stick.... We took turns punishing the cup. We tried to stick with the 22 so it could last as long as possible.

Michigan -- Thanks -- I just ordered my 550 from Brian -- So I'll make some empties and mark em...

Paul

You'll love the 550. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Been to the range 5 times since my last entry. I got my dad a Kimber .45 1911. It came in at the local shop about 4/22. So clearly the only thing to do was clean it, and take it to the range. My dad REALLY liked it, as did I. It's all stainless steel, which means it was heavier than any of his previous guns and the trigger was a little lighter as well -- in the end -- perceived recoil is less than his 380 Auto and the lighter trigger all but eliminated the 7 o'clock push my dad has been struggling with on the heavy triggers. On 4/27 -- I went with my dad and my brother. The last time the three of us were outside for something other than BBQ in the back yard was WAY too long ago. We had fun. Lot's of switching around and shooting the new .45, a 9mm, and a .22. This was my first chance to do any live fire -- ever -- with a holster. I was really happy with being smooth and being able to practice some reloads. I need plenty of work on these skills... The day before, 4/26 -- I went to push myself some on firing a little quicker. I was using 5" paper plates at about 10m indoor. Because I didn't have a timer -- I couldn't really track improvement -- overall the focus helped, but I can't tell how much. My goal was not to lose any accuracy, just simply to do the same quality of shooting a little quicker. It worked well. When I'd push the speed too much -- I could see myself lose trigger control and start to pull shots. Then I'd think more about the "order to fire" -- and it would be right back where I needed it. Suprisingly, the quickest string that just flowed -- not much active thought -- was the most accurate as well.... Then I had to travel for work -- something has to pay for the ammo.... So my next range time was 5/3.... I simply worked on group shooting at about 15m indoor. I only had about 1/2 hour before the range closed, but it was great to live fire after a full week off.

Now the Finale.... I went to my first USPSA Club Match and Shot -- yesterday. It was AWSOME!!! I shot production with a Beretta 92FS (9mm). My dad took some video. I'll try to post it later. Going in, my goal was hit 2 Alpha on every target. I did really well at getting my hits. Was I quick? Not so much. Safe? You bet. Hits? Got em. Did I reload? Sure. Quickly? Uh.... Was it fun? HELL YEAH! Did I mention that I got my hits? :cheers:

The event was totally fun. It was a great day. The stages were really fun. My first chance to shoot steel -- EVER. I took a total of 4 extra shots on the day. 2 I knew I missed and made up... 2 Just cause I wanted to :rolleyes: -- I had one Mike. That shot proves that I haven't developed shot calling yet... There was hard cover painted mid-chest, and I pulled the shot slightly --- about a 1/4 inch into the black. When I get the scores, I'll post.

Not only did I get hooked. But I think I hooked my dad He asked me.... So do you have a holster that fits that 1911?

Well the results came out today....

.....................................Points

Stage.........................Max......Mine.....Penalty........Accuracy.........Time Hit Factor Stage Pts Stage %

1-SIT AND SCOOT.......120........112........0................93.33%.........52.37 2.1386 57.7051 48.09%

2-SCSD?.....................100.........98.........0...............98.00%..........31.08 3.1532 31.3642 31.36%

3-A SPOT OF BOTHER....80.........74.........0................92.50%.........35.23 2.1005 40.7370 50.92%

4-HY-LO.......................75..........70.......10................93.33%.........29.57 2.0291 30.0934 40.12%

5-1 SHOT 1 DOOR.........65..........65........0...............100.00%.........24.19 2.6871 23.3495 35.92%

6-Six CM 08-03.............30..........26........0................86.67%...........9.88 2.6316 11.8705 39.57%

I worked the data to estimate my accuracy -- which was my goal for the shoot. I don't remember hitting a no-hit that should cause a penalty.... BUT I'm sure there were plenty of things I didn't notice....

Interestingly, within Production I scored the most raw points on the targets for the day... 445. The Production winner had 405 raw poiints. So now -- I'm convinced -- I won't be able to say my accuracy is holding me back. It will always come down to... Did I have the patience to get the points, or did I rush and MISS? I only have to shave 100 seconds off my total time for the day and I'd of won. B)

Biggest lesson learned... I can shoot accurately enough to win.

Take aways... Just practice and the speed will develop naturally, for now. I'm sure I'll get to a point where I'll NEED to focus on individual elements, but for now I'm gonna keep practicing -everything - to get more smooth....

Been to the range twice since the last post. The first time to the range after the first match, I had to calm down. I stepped up to the line wanting to do everything faster and better... That just put pressure on myself... So instead of throwing lead downrange -- I got on the bench, shot slow fire groups with my dad's new 45. In the end, I think 1 click to the right will zero it -- up and down were just fine. Second time to the range, I simply shot groups with the 9mm at 15 yeards. Again somewhat avoided trying to shoot quickly. Then I shot the Mark III .22 to close out the session. I started shooting really well with it, and before I knew it, I'd gone thru quite abit of ammo. This gun has a red dot scope on it... 2 things happened... 1) the 2 eyes open dry firing practice in the basement transfered over the the .22. (I've had to close one eye to eliminate double targets). The optical red dot allows a more natural focus on the targets... 2) my shooting improved in both accuracy and speed with the 22. My group sizes were down around 1 inch at 7 yards, but I was shooting a magazine faster than I ever had before. -- I'm sure it's no speed record, but again for me another personal best. I'm hopeful that the dry firing in the basement with the iron sights -- 2 eyes open -- will eventually transfer over to the range. So far, I'm not sure it will. I think it will be easier closer in ~7 yards, but the group shooting I was doing at 15 yeards really didn't allow me to keep both eyes open, yet.

I finally got the time to load my first rounds on the new 550 from Brian. My dad and I did the first ones together. We're both new to reloading so we limited our first attempt to 21 rounds. The machine worked PERFECTLY. I haven't fired the rounds yet, but dimensionally and powder charge was totally in control. We started with 45's. We shot for 1.265" aol with FMJ encased RN 230 gr hornaday bullets. I'll be ordering a batch from Montana Gold, but it was easier to test with some off the shelf from the local shop. We started with Winchester Primers and used 4.5 gr of Titegroup. It seemed that the crimp dimension could vary just a bit, based on the variation in total length of the once fired brass. We did attempt on this first batch to use only Winchester brass, but we've got quite a few head stamps. Once we settle on the recipe, I can really see how much I'm going to like the 550. Thanks to everyone who reviewed the press and a special thanks to BE. The machine works GREAT.

Shot my second match this weekend. I had a great time. The people I met were great. Amazing shooters. ACCURATE and FAST. :bow: I tried to watch and learn as much as possible. They gave me good tips on stages and made me aware of some things to work on. There were two things at work on my mental state... 1) being surrounded by FAST shooters, starts to make you want to shoot / move / reload... faster - which is only bad if you THINK about it while shooting - 2) getting more comfortable shooting, it doesn't feel like pushing but I'm getting quicker. I'll see when I get the scores... my expectation is that I did'nt get quite as many A's as last time (but I definetely feel that I shot well) and I completed the stages a little quicker, comparitively. My expectation is that my personal HF's will be better than last time. I think participating in the sport will clearly benchmark my improvements in shooting over time. I shot my first swinger -- It was only visible 1/2 the time from behind a wall... Took 3 shots at the thing... 1A and 2D... Two shots on one "flash" and one shot on the second... I just wasn't confident, with my first look. I was soo interested in the swinger, I pulled a bone headed move then, I moved on and left a steel target standing proud. Never even engaged it. :roflol::blink: That probably won't help the overall performance.

I used a Beretta 92fS (9mm). I signed up to run production again. I'm really happy with gun. I've never had a jam, ever. I've put about 4K through it. There was a question within the squad as to if my gun was allowed in Production. I tried to look on the web when I got home... I'm pretty convinced that it's clearly a produciton gun -- If I don't understand something, somebody please post. I only had 10 in the mags, and started with 1 in the pipe. Additionally, I was asked why I fire the first shot DA. Since the Beretta won't allow me to set the safety fully cocked... I think the official ready position is safety off and hammer down in the holster. Which then means the first shot will be DA. But it wouldn't surprise me, if I "don't get it" yet, either.

Another first.... Shooting on the move... There was one stage where it felt right... so I did. I'd never been moving and shooting ever before. Can't say that I'm going to look for opportunities to do this, yet... but another cool thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the range and worked on longer range accuracy... This paid off big, because there was a Stage at the 3rd match this weekend that had 4 targets at about 35 yards. I ended up with 5 A hits and 3 B Hits on the long range dudes. The 3rd Match was really fun. Again, met some really great people. I think I'm improving nicely, and there is PLENTY to work on...

Cool Things that happened...

On a realtively short target.... my second shot was off (ended up a C hit, but at the time I didn't know how off it was)... without thinking about it or physically looking... I followed up with another shot that turned that into an A hit.... I don't think I can call my shots yet.. but this was an AWESOME experience... my body didn't even try to transition to the next target... I was on automatic.

Medium to Long Range Shots... I was happy with my ability to shoot accurately, even with medium to long range shots.

I moved slightly better... I moved to where I needed to move, which cut off a few steps...

Not to stress the bad in writing... but this is a funny noob mistake... I was shooting production, so I have 10+1 at the start signal... I had 6 paper targets, with only 5 visible between barrels at the start. So I draw, pop 5 of the 6 targets twice, reload while moving, and pop 2 into.... one of the targets I've already engaged :roflol: -- This fact comes to my attention during scoring. :surprise:

Note on my speed... There was a stage where 2 disappearing targets "appeared" at the same time, triggered by a popper. They disappeared at the same time, as well. I wasn't quick enough YET to engage both targets.

I saw a fella have a borderline AD.... the shot happened after he had issues with his gun and reload... The shot hit the ground about 7 yards downrange, after the reload, but before he was "targeted".... In this case, the RO didn't DQ him. I'm glad nobody got hurt.

My scores from the Second Rodeo came in.... I improved 9% on the overall winner in the rankings from my first to second match. My personal best Hit Factor (where I shot 35/35 points no penalties) on a stage is now 3.6 up from 3.15 (where I shot 98/100 points no penalties) I shot 504/550 points for the day.... So my accuracy was within a couple of % of my first rodeo. But I moved I little better -- not much -- but a little.

Things to work on... Keep shooting accurately, and let the quickness in shooting develop on it's own... maybe just a touch of push in practice...

Practice hard on the non-shooting skills... draws, reloads, moving... I can really see in the videos where a little practice will go a long way in reducing time....

Later I'll need to work on shooting on the move... there was a stage that was designed for shooting on the move --- I shot it standing still. I figure I'll move and shoot as and when it feels right, for me...

This is wicked fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the range on Tues night. Shot groups. Went back and forth from store bought (WWB) and basement reloads on both 9mm and 45s. There was no perceptable difference in the patterns at various ranges for me. Which is GREAT. My whole goal of reloading was to not impact the shooting but be able to shoot more... My confidence in reloaded ammo is very high now. The 550s from Brian are awsome. Interestingly, I shot significantly tighter groups with the 45 than with the 9mm. This was not expected because I shoot the 9mm soo much more. The only thing I can think of is the sights are different. The 9mm has 3 white dots... the 45 has traditional target sights in black. The 45 might be a hair longer as well.

The other thing I noticed... While comparing ammo I was really trying for tight groups. Then later I shot some groups a little quicker and more relaxed. The patterns were just slightly better relaxed, and not trying so hard. This only happened on the 9mm groups.

Just good to be outside.

I used a Beretta 92fS (9mm). I signed up to run production again. I'm really happy with gun. I've never had a jam, ever. I've put about 4K through it. There was a question within the squad as to if my gun was allowed in Production. I tried to look on the web when I got home... I'm pretty convinced that it's clearly a produciton gun -- If I don't understand something, somebody please post. I only had 10 in the mags, and started with 1 in the pipe. Additionally, I was asked why I fire the first shot DA. Since the Beretta won't allow me to set the safety fully cocked... I think the official ready position is safety off and hammer down in the holster. Which then means the first shot will be DA. But it wouldn't surprise me, if I "don't get it" yet, either.

Its a production gun.. no question.

You are one of about 20ish people that actually shoot one in USPSA... you should be proud! :cheers:

Yesterday was stressfull.... So yesterday night I went to the range with my dad. Had the BEST time. Didn't really try to do anything.... just stood and BLASTED. Ended up shooting quicker -- still with control -- than I've ever shot before... Went thru a total of 400 rounds... It's good to just tear it up.

Practiced at the range on Saturday --worked on draws and reloads... My time to first shot still need TONS of work but it's twice as fast as it was a month ago. Went to my first Steel Match on Sunday. It was really fun. There is a real lack of movement and reloads at a steel match, which puts the focus on draws and SHOOTING. My accuracy is still improving from regualar practice, which made the match fun for me. My speed continues to improve, but stages REALLY suffer when I'd occasionally need a make up shot. Interestingly, the two stages I did the best at were the long distance stage (Outer Limits) and a short 2 shot stage (Double Trouble, I think -- where one plate is hung vertically over another, just draw and hit each one....). My time to first shot was clearly something for me to work on as a common theme.

The times indicated that I'm improving.... for instance....

In my first match (USPSA) I needed to be on average 60% faster (and shoot the same accuracy) to win. That was May 4th of this year.... At this match (June 29th) I needed to be on average 43% faster to win.... I think it's a good comparision / benchmark for me... because it keeps me focused on my personal improvement.

I was also happy with my consistency. The matches are serving as a good yard stick to measure my personal improvements.

I gotta tell ya though.... I'm really happy with the sport of shooting. There is an element that is fun -- every time I step into the box.

The Beretta is treating me really well. The only modficiations I've done are VERY MINOR.... Changed the grips (which I might change back, to the thinner grips) and I put in a metal recoil rod vs the plastic stock one.

Things that I've considered doing to the weapon...

Putting in a D Spring to lighten the trigger pull... (I think this only impacts the first DA shot though... Is that right?)

Reversing and Replacing the Mag Release -- Because I can't reach the release with the thumb without breaking the grip... maybe the index / middle finger setup would work better -- thanks for the PM Chills.

The final thing is the sights. But I think I'd need a smith to mill the slide for different sights -- so this will be a while... if ever....

I think the three dots are fine... but my gut tells me that the tighter groups with the 45 are related to the sights...

Mac

Putting in a D Spring to lighten the trigger pull... (I think this only impacts the first DA shot though... Is that right?)

The D spring will lighten single action a little bit as well. It is the best mod you can do to your gun for the money.

• 2 weeks later...

Took my daughter on a vacation... So no significant range time since my last entry... but I shot a local match on Sunday... Shot the match twice. Once production with the Beretta and the re-shoot with a Single Stack. I did significantly better with the Beretta. I'm more comfortable with the gun and more practiced. I wanted to test out the SS setup that I'm putting together for my dad. It was a great time. It was a toss up on going to the local range and practicing vs going to the match. I'm glad I went to the match. I did a few things that wouldn't have been tested in practice... I planned to and shot on the move in a stage. Slightly beat my personal best HF - now 3.64 (60 points clean over 16.45 seconds) . I shot wicked accurate, scoring all alphas on a couple of stages. Didn't end up scoring any D's. I did catch a no-shoot by a hair on one target -- so that ends up a mike and penalty. I know that I'm getting a slightly quicker, because there were disappearing targets again. I was quick enough to get 2 good hits on each. In fact, shooting SS I made up a C and turned it into an A on the disappearing target. I think my shot calling is improving, because I made up 4 shots I didn't like during the day, without any target transitional movement. I know it's not a perfect measure, but clearly if someone starts transitioning to another target and comes back for a makeup shot -- they are'nt calling shots, (or accepting Ds or Mikes). I've still got to get about 2x faster to run with the leaders.

Before the match, I replaced the mag release on the Beretta with an INOX one that while still a Beretta factory part -- is slightly extended compared to the orginal. I kept it on the same side. This made it much easier to release, without the total grip break. After the match, I replaced the hammer spring with the D model. I'm looking forward to trying this out in practice tonight.

I'm happy that I'm very consistent with the accuracy. I think I'm getting a little quicker, but I also think that there is some carry over from practice. I generally practice 95% focused on accuracy shooting and only about 5% on being quick. I'll have to mix in some other goals against a timer in practice to drive some time improvements.

On reloading... I'm really happy with the 550s from Brian. Shot the local match on Sunday with ALL reloaded ammo... 9mm for Producation and 45 for the SS. So far I haven't had a sigle jam with reloaded ammo.

Now that I'm in the habit of brassing... I finally understand why brass is free. Some days I get a little less than what I shoot.... but most days, I get to the range and there is brass laying all over... on average I'm collecting much more than what I shoot. Now that the dies are set and the powder measure is set... I still double dog check things, but... the only finicky part is depriming for me and my dad. That seems to free up a bunch of junk that gets the primer feeding system gummed up if you let it... My dad actually deprimed some brass prior to the loading operation, which keeps the primer feed system SUPER CLEAN. Overall, I'm sure that just brushing the primer feed every time we load primers in the tube would probably fix everything -- but for awhile we may deprime prior to loading.... We're still working on the process.

We're new to reloading, and I'm glad we went with a progressive press. I've seen some advice to start with a single stage press when your new to reloading -- but I'm thrilled that we got the progressive Dillon. I may feel differently if we reloaded rifle stuff, but as it is with only pistol 9 and 45 -- the 550 is a perfect setup. We ended up with a second 550. One is setup with 9 and the other is 45. Thanks to BE again and the members on this forum. I'm thrilled with the information available on the site.

Mac

Been to the range a couple of times... Did some dry fire in the basement this last week as well... The D Spring wasn't magical, but I like it -- and I plan to keep it. My biggest fear was that I'd get spotty ignition... So far no problems at all... Tried some bench firing from 50 yards with my dad. That was the first difference I've seen between reloads and factory ammo. The factory ammo had more drop than the reloads. I don't have access to a chrono so it's probably just that the reloaded ammo is slightly faster, out of the gun....

I've prioritized skills for future practice... #1) Draws -- I've got to work these hard to get the time to first shot down.... #2) Reloads -- I've got to be tons smoother, and I personally think this is the second biggest time waster for me as a shooter... --- #1 and #2 are the primary skills I'm going to work in live fire and dry fire... Some skills for future focus... #3) Improve shooting on the move... #4) Transitions (Side to Side and Range based)

My current baseline par times for draws are reloads are 2 and 3 seconds respectively in dry fire. They are 2.15 average draws live fire and 3.2 second live fire for reloads. Clearly there is plenty of room for improvement.

Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Shot another USPSA local match on Sunday.... It was my best overall performance to date... My personal best HHF on any stage is now 4.4. Within Production, eliminating reshoots - I ended up 7th out of 17. With reshoots I took 10th and 11th out of 23. I shot another stage all A's. I had the most trouble with a stage that simply had a bunch of disappearing targets that were triggered off a combination of a chain pull and a popper. The stage was just too quick for my skills... Got the points I could and moved on.... I know my speed is improving... I was really suprised by the 4.4 HF. I didn't feel like I was going extra fast on the stage, but I shot 93% of the points and the timer said 17.x seconds... The result was suprising for me. I did have multiple stages in the ~3.8 HF range. The classifier was more challenging than I thought it would be... 4 Bill Drill. I figured GREAT a longer distance will equalize things and work in my favor... and it did. But in looking at my results against my expectations of my own personal ability, I wasn't thrilled with the fact that I threw 1 mike on the stage. I might pick that specific classifier and use it to measure some improvements in practice. I want to be able to really make that type of medium to long range shooting a strength.

Been doing draws and reloads quite abit in practice. It's helping. There won't be any substitute for repitions... thousands of repitions.... :wacko:

Even though in hind sight there are things I learned and would push myself to do better next time.... I was really happy with the performance. I felt like it's a good bench mark of what I've trained to do. My consistency was interesting between my first run and my reshoot. On one stage, the difference was incredibly small... My first run at the stage scored 112 points (no penalties) in 29.55 sec and my reshoot later in the day produced 114 points (no penalties) in 29.89 sec. Max points for this stage was 120. I thought both runs were a good reflection of my current ability. I was suprised how close the results were.

Tons of fun.

Mac

Edited by MacCearain

• 1 month later...

Wow... a long time since my last entry... but TONS of shooting and dry firing....

I know I'm getting better, faster and stronger. My accuracy is improving as is my speed. I've come to a realization for me.... I shouldn't set my goals too specific, because it creates expectations....

My draw to first shot times with live fire are down -- now always under 1.2 seconds -- I still need to keep this as a regular practice drill... My consistency as well as speed still needs improvement.

My reloads are much smoother. Sometimes, I get into a mode where they "feel" really good. My best reloads happen as the old mag hits the ground... Again my consistency as well as speed still need work....

I use a drill when practicing reloads.... I load up 5 mags.. The first gets 3 rounds. Mags 2-4 get 2 rounds each. Mag 5 gets one round.

This way as I load and make ready... I get a practice draw, 10 shots (various target patterns), and 4 reloads. I find that requiring 4 reloads is more than will happen in any stage locally -- but focuses on the skill...

I'll do this drill for at least 100 rounds. Giving me 40+ reloads per live fire session.

I've been doing the same drill in dry fire.... It gets tough on the thumb in dry fire.

I'm working out how to focus on a couple of other skills in my practice sessions....

Target trasnsitions

I've started to work more on target shooting orders that require bigger transitions between shots, as opposed to between reloads....

Starting to move....

I think I might break moving into three groups....

1) Stepping into a shooting position

2) Leaving a shooting position

3) General shooting on the move

Of these, I'm going to start working on the first. Getting into the position, ready to fire.

I've lost quite a bit of weight over the last couple of months... 290# -> 235# -- So NOT working on movement before now, was probably a good call.... I've had to drill new notches on the gun belt. That felt good.

I'm thinking of entering a couple of matches in October that are more than local...

Mac

• 1 month later...

:surprise: I re-read my last post... I must have been on crack and didn't realize it... I can NOT draw consistently in 1.2 seconds.... My fastest draw to first shot times can hit that... but my average is over 2 seconds on the plate rack at 10 yards. -- Still a big improvement for me -- but not close to 1.2....

I've joined a range that has some steel I can shoot. It has a plate rack. So I worked it hard about 2 1/2 weeks ago, with my timer. I shot it ~46 times on the clock every time. My average time to finish the rack was 6.22 sec from the buzzer. My average transitions plate to plate were .78 sec. My accuracy was 96% for the entire session.

I shot in two matches since my last post. The Milan Fall Classic and the Illinois Sectional Singlestack / Production. Both matches were a TON of fun.

Because I've shot some stages all A's at previous matches -- I wanted to focus on going faster.... Well, I loose control of my hit factors when I hit the gas. Some are amazing, others... not so much. So lesson learned, don't try so much. I've got some video of myself at both matches... I'll attempt to link it later (I"ve never posted video on the web.. :unsure: )

I do have new high hit factors.... but the real story for me was the realization that, if I work out a plan that is just within my ability to shoot and execute it... I get the best stage result. My best stage at the sectional match wasn't the stage that felt fast or accurate... It was called Baby Hang on 2... It was neat, you had to hang onto a length of PVC pipe with your weak hand that was buried in the ground while shooting... So just a fancy strong hand only stage. I ended up taking 5th place within Production on this stage. My hit factor wasn't huge (2.66), but interestingly the results were great. My personal highest Hit Factor EVER is now a 5.988. The stages I liked best were the ones where I executed my personal plan for the stage, as I intended.

I had some interesting firsts in Milan. I had my first gun issue. It was colder than I'd ever shot outside with slide glide. I really LOVE the lube, but I had a bolt action pistol in my first stage of the morning. Brain states the temp range for best usage right on the tubs, but sometimes you just have to experience life. :rolleyes: I fixed it between stage 1 and stage 2, and had no other gun related issues since. The Texas Stars were fun. It was the first time to see em and shoot em.

I really enjoyed shooting both matches. Great squad mates and great RO's. Thanks for all the efforts of the respective clubs. I thought the matches were awesome.

Mac

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend we had PERFECT weather. 75 degrees, not much wind, no humitity, a thin veil of smoke in the air... I like the fall in Illinois. My dad shot in his first match on Sunday. It was awsome shooting together. A morning I'll always remember.

Nailed 2 Alpha on my first disappearing target that was moving quickly... When I get the results I'll post a few other details... There was a Bill Drill stage.... So that stage on the clock will be another indicator of my personal progress -- I hit 6 alpha -- but can't remember the time. I shot quite a few stages all alphas. I actually think that it helped my performance to be more interested in video taping my dad, keeping score and pasting... I shot on the move more than ever before...

Good times.

Mac

My results from the Match with my dad...

Stage --------------- Place - Division -- Pts - Pen - Time -- HitFctr ----- Stg Pnts -- Stg %

1 - Bang Knock --------- 5 - Production - 75 - 0 - 18.03 -- 4.1597 - 61.3055 -- 81.74%

2 - Low n Inside 2 ----- 7 - Production - 93 - 0 - 18.25 -- 5.0959 - 67.9282 -- 71.50%

3 - Make a Payment --- 7 - Production - 70 - 0 - 22.61 -- 3.0960 - 50.1446 -- 71.64%

4 - Front Sight ---------- 4 - Production - 58 - 0 - 11.78 -- 4.9236 - 46.3434 -- 77.24%

5 - Street 2 ------------- 7 - Production - 80 - 0 - 17.96 -- 4.4543 - 50.7533 -- 63.44%

6 - Barricade ------------ 5 - Production - 70 - 0 - 20.39 -- 3.4331 - 45.9691 -- 65.67%

7 - Bill Drill -------------- 5 - Production - 30 - 0 -- 3.24 --- 9.2593 - 22.5001 -- 75.00%

Clearly, I still need to get faster... and I am improving with each match...

I wanted to start breaking out of D Class in my first year... This classifier still has me at 39.xx% Nationally with the Estimator Web Site...

New High Hit Factor -- 9.2593

Best moment -- Shooting with my Dad...

Mac